Thread: Turning urn where length exceeds diameter

Turning urn where length exceeds diameter

30 plus years of experience with woodworking but most of my wood turning experience has been with spindle turning. Have a quick question on hollow form turning I hope that someone can help me with. Looking to turn an urn that will have its length exceed its diameter. I also would like to use a constrasting wood for the base of the urn and the lid. Am I better off orientating the wood grain to run the length of the piece (head stock to tail stock), and if so, does the contrasting wood that I will glue onto the base and use for the lid need to have the grain run in the same direction?
    Thanks for any words of wisdom,

I have done hollow forms with both orientations; either can work. Grain parallel to the lathe axis has some advantages while drying, especially if you can avoid having the pith included. Since you will be adding a separate base, consider turning the body with both ends open for even drying and finish turning to final size after it is dry.

If your "lid" is a finial, or smallish spindle turning, it should be end grain, or grain running the length of the lathe. Small diameter turnings side grain are very fragile.
    For urns, I like end grain since it matches the finial. (The grain direction matches)

Mostly I have a question, or, maybe an answer, that you said that the Hollow Form length is longer than the width. I almost always turn HFs in this fashion, in fact, when I do turn a HF "short" it looks rather dumpy. Needs help with some kind of feature. It's hard to explain short forms. Tall forms look better.