Thread: Grizzly Tent Sale

Grizzly Tent Sale

Well, im here....

Any other tips other than get in line early, and get the slips off the machine quick?

All in all, I’d say it was a pretty good experience.

I got in line at about 6:15am. Was about 60-70 people deep.

The gates opened up at 8am, and like cattle, everyone started running in.

20140913_155432.jpg20140913_155501.jpg

I made it straight to the jointer tent, and as I went down the row of 8” jointers, it’s only 8:01am at this point, one by one all the really low priced ones were already gone, at least their tickets were removed.

I jumped across the aisle to next handful of 8” jointers, and myself and another gentleman were checking out one and I didn’t bother to look any closer, I took the ticket, didn’t even see the price at first.

He stated, “Man, I was just getting ready to grab that”……

Anyway, $750 for the G0656PX, with a bent switch pedestal. The part was $11, shipping was $8, already on its way. There were also some missing stickers/logos, and a bunch of chips in the paint.

I took some pieces to Sherwin Williams yesterday, and got the green and white touch up paint for about $29 for both cans.

The picture was taken while the jointer was still on the trailer, I’ll take another after I clean it up a bit.

I also grabbed a new G0453Z, now I just need 4 friends to get it up the few stairs into the shop.

So I saved $500 on the jointer, $300 for each machine that I would have paid shipping on if I bought new, $180 thanks to Justin Ludwig for the 10% off code.

$980 minus $200 for gas and a hotel room Friday night. I’d say saving about $780 is worth it.

Congratulations on your bargains! But it sounds like the event involved the kind of nasty line jumping, ticket grabbing, elbow throwing, pushing and shoving event I go out of my way to avoid. Same reason I stay home the day after Thanksgiving.

Glad to hear you saved some money, but I have to agree with Glenn. I would get pretty angry with some people at an event like that.

Well it was raining, so what I was told was that the wait line was little light this year due to tehrain, bu hey fine by me.

Ticket grabbing wasnt too bad, the gift bag they handed out had some strong words for anyone caught ripping off multiple tickets, basically they said they would kick you out.

I still think it had to have happened, no way that many jointers were gone that quick, unless that's the norm for these, then again, it was my first one.

I will go back in May next year though.....

I live about 90 minutes from one of their sites and thought about going. Probably should have. Even though there was some unruliness, it doesn't sound much different from the tool auctions I have been to. I think if you go knowing about the sharp elbows, it won't be so bad. Maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post
    Ticket grabbing wasnt too bad, the gift bag they handed out had some strong words for anyone caught ripping off multiple tickets, basically they said they would kick you out.
    Justin - could you explain "ripping off multiple tickets"? Buying multiple of the same tool?

Thks

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Laumann View Post
    Justin - could you explain "ripping off multiple tickets"? Buying multiple of the same tool?

Thks

Jim
    I think it refers to the practice of just running through pulling tickets off of multiple items before actually deciding you want to purchase those items, just to prevent others from buying it before you've made your decision.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Laumann View Post

Thks

Jim
    Grizzly puts a tag on each machine at the tent sale. To buy an item you take the tag to the cashier to pay for it. It has become quite common for people to just go up and down the isles ripping of all the tags of the same type tool and then going back to more closely inspect them so they pick the best one. Then leaving the other tickets somewhere like the trash can.
    The system would work well if people would play nice, but they don't. I would think they could come up with a better system.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Justin, nice score! (despite the ticket-rippin' Sooners)
    Last edited by scott vroom; 09-16-2014 at 1:50 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.