Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on Dovetail Jig

Well Allen,

I have about researched this thing to death and gathered advice from as many sources and reviews as I could find. Here is my conclusion for "my" particular needs.

PC4212.... On order from Coastal Tools as of this hour.

It looks like it will do anything "I" need to do on a "hobby" scale. After watching the videos I am convinced this is the machine for me for the $ invested. I believe PC got it right on this one. Yes, Keller looks like the absolute easiest but is limitied to through dovetails only as well as size and spacing. While this is not a bad thing, I would like more flexibility if I am going to spend that kind of money on it. They should at least offer the same features as the PC for the higher price. And yes, the bits are pricey, but aren't they all to some degree? My conclusion is based on not wanting or needing to spend big $ on a high end jig that I simply won't use that often or take advantage of all the extra little features they are capable of.

All of the name jigs out there appear to be good in their own realm of design and intent of use. I am not going to claim one is "better" than the other because that would be a most false statement. We simply have to explore our intended use and look for the machine that would come closest to filling that bill. Oh yes, there is some real krud "low end" jigs that looked like a real pain to even attempt to use and I immediately dropped them from my list of possibilities very quickly after researching them. I believe my choice came down between the Keller and the PC. I simply chose the PC for price and flexibility over the Keller. I believe both machines are an excellent choice, it just depends on what you plan to do with each and I did not want to limit myself to only one method and style. I also did not want to have to take night classes to learn to use one of the more complex and capable high end machines

This is one decision I am glad to have off my plate as it has nearly driven me nuts.

I thank those who contributed to this thread with input and advice. All were excellent replies and I thought there for a while I was going to end up with 2 or more jigs
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 07-11-2005 at 9:23 PM.

I am in the same boat as you. I only heard about 5% of people complain about the 4212. I heard a lot of good reviews and very few bad ones. Im ordering mine this weekend. I would really like to have the 24" capacity of the D4, but its a lot of bucks. I think eventually i would like to learn to do them by hand.

Let us know how your first cut goes!

Akeda

Someone mentioned the Akeda does not do through dovetails-- but it does. Just bought the machine this weekend and I must say with no expereince ever before making dovetails, my first half blind was PERFECT. My first attempt at through dovetails was not as good but after getting more precise with the settings of the straight and dovetail cutter bits, they are getting much better.

As for the Woodcraft price, the basic Akeda DC 16 does give you everthing you need to get started except the bits. It comes with a sufficinet number of template fingers for halfblind and through dovetails, a 7/16" bushing (PC style)for your router.

Check it out at woodcraft
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4406

The bits range in the area of 15 - 20 bucks.

I did buy the accessory kit which includes all the bits as also described on the woodcraft site plus a coupon good for two other bits.

Again I am not expereinced with joinery but this Akeda makes it easy and the dust collection system is excellent.

Even had the occasion to e-mail the president and inventor of the jig and he personally responded. Can't get much better personalised assistance than that.

Jerry,

It was I that made the erroroneous comment about the Akeda not doing through dovetails. I have since edited and corrected my post. I looked and studied so many names I believe I got thouroughly confused as I eluded to in my initial post.

The Akeda is an excellent choice for HD production work and will serve you well. I just needed something a little less complex for casual use and saved a few $ by going with the PC4212.

I apologize for the confusion.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 07-12-2005 at 9:48 PM.

I have three Incra fences as I find them to be an amazing bang for the dollar, very easy to use, they do multiple types of joints that are bang on accurate. Two are on router tables and one is on a bandsaw....

When I did cabinetry full time for two years I almost bought a leigh but the price seems desperate high. If I was doing cabinetry again full time, based on what I have read, I would buy the Akeda. I have a couple of neighbour woodworkers that have this jig and they rave about it a lot.

Andy

I used the Porter Cable 12 inch for a couple years, but finally graduated to the Leigh D4 to have more options and flexibility. The D4 is sophisticated (some people are turned off by the thick manual) but it is really not hard to use. I predict that most people who start with a fixed spacing jig will eventually upgrade to the D4 or one like it, as I did. (By the way, someone can make me an offer for the 12 inch Porter Cable... it is complete with manuals and original box, and sitting on the shelf collecting dust).

Get the Akeda

I bought the Akeda for $259. I also bought 3 bits at $17.00 and the dust collector at $29.00, a total of $339.00. (Actually you can do half blinds with only one bit.) That's all you need and you don't even need the dust collector. It is great. I love it. The repeatability is amazing. The variable spacing is a feature I wanted. The very first dovetail I cut fit perfectly ( a test cut) so I went on to make 2 drawers and the fit was right on. I can't say enough good about it (sort of like the Festool owners).

BTW the dust collector get 95%+ of the dust.

CPeter

You Akeda guys sure are persistent and loyal to your product. You are about to break me down. Who do I send the bill to?

By the way, is the $259 really a good deal or can I pick it up later for the same price? I have not been looking at prices very long.

Allen

Bob....I have IIRC the PC 4112. Once set up I found it very easy to use. Would I like to have a Leigh D4? You betcha. Will I have one in the future.....maybe. But.....I was able to buy the PC for about $100 at the time I needed it....it was there on the shelf ....in front of me.......I may upgrade in the future but it was a good machine to use to cut my first dovetails. I don't think you'll regret your purchase.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks again guys for all of your valuable input. I believe once my PC4212 arrives and I have time to give it a try, I will be very satisfied with the machine for my "limited" needs. I have stressed that I had "hobby only" interest and on a casual basis at that, so I believe (hope) I have made the right decision for now. If I am wrong and realize it down the road I know I can always sell the PC4212 and upgrade from there. Hey... we have to start somewhere and learn from there

I cannot begin to tell how much I appreciate the real life responses and help and opinions from the fine membership at SMC. Y'all at the GREATEST!
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 07-14-2005 at 8:16 AM.

Akeda regular price is $329

The $259 is a special price only at Woodcraft. I don't know for how long, but I think only July. It is $329 everywhere else as far as I can see.

CPeter

Well thanks for confusing me guys. I was all set to get the PC and now im thinking about the akeda....

Decisions, Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer
    Well thanks for confusing me guys. I was all set to get the PC and now im thinking about the akeda....
    Did a lot of research before I purchased the Akeda this weekend. I have to say the PC manual is more informative than the Akeda. As to the difference in operations, just let me say as one who never before made dovetails, I showed my first test half blind to one of mentors, and he was amazed.

One of the web sites I visited, can't remember which, had a side by side comparison of price and features, and by the time you bought all the extras with the PC, the price difference between that and the Akeda was nominal.

And if you go for the Akeda, grab ahold tight when you pull it off the shelf -- the weight of that thing is surprising. Guess what I'm saying is you'll be impressed with the quality and the heft of the construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bittner
    Did a lot of research before I purchased the Akeda this weekend. I have to say the PC manual is more informative than the Akeda. As to the difference in operations, just let me say as one who never before made dovetails, I showed my first test half blind to one of mentors, and he was amazed.

One of the web sites I visited, can't remember which, had a side by side comparison of price and features, and by the time you bought all the extras with the PC, the price difference between that and the Akeda was nominal.

And if you go for the Akeda, grab ahold tight when you pull it off the shelf -- the weight of that thing is surprising. Guess what I'm saying is you'll be impressed with the quality and the heft of the construction.
    The adjustable pins on the akeda is a big thing i just thought of. I would definitely want to make different spaced dovetails from project to project. That price at woodcraft is really tempting. Anyone know how long the sale is good for?

15. Hi,

This is my first post on the website, kind of nice here. Why not consider a woodrat, for just a little more this thing really does a nice job, plus you can mortise and tenon with it, profile, dovetail, etc. It may be worth looking into. I just purchased one and am very impressed. www.woodrat.com They seem to be very helpful. Anyhow just a thought
    Sam