Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

15 Sep 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
    I'm still working on the finishing of the construction project. Seems and feels like it's never going to end, but my hopes are that I will be able to call it "done" within the next 2 weeks. I played bass guitar at church yesterday and then spent the rest of the day at the hospital sitting with a family and a dear friend of mine who had an accident and the family is now left with the decision to remove him from life support or long term care with him remaining in a permanent coma. Bob was a really good friend of mine, a brother motorcyclist, and one who has come to my aid on a few occasions when I had nowhere else to turn. I offer him and his family my honor, respect, and thankfulness on this very day.

That's all for me today, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

On Saturday I drove 1 1/2 hours to Rochester to pick up a treadmill I found on craigslist.
    On Sunday I picked up a cabinet saw from an estate sale.

I am so sore, about the only thing that doesn't hurt are my fingers.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

I'm very sad to learn about your friend, Dennis, and I know this is a difficult time for his family.

Aside from the normal equestrian activities on Saturday morning, mowing the lawn and doing a minor repair on the Kubota, I spent a good bit of time in the shop cleaning and making some changes to improve workflow and space utilization. I decided to eliminate the big lumber rack and move all the stock to the upstairs lumber storage rack which frees up some meaningful space. I'll be moving my small-tool/finishing/fastener cabinets into the resulting cubby next to the DC/Compressor closet and will be cutting down the right-side table on my slider so I can move that tool back about 16". That enables me to leave the outrigger on most of the time and also makes it so I can walk by it no matter what the position of the wagon is. It will be amazing what 16" will do! I may also relocate the lathe, but I'm undecided about that right now.

The big orange power tool did a lot of heavy lifting during the transfer of many hundreds of board feet of material from the shop to the upstairs storage...

Rack is "more full" than before, but still has space for additional needs.

Before...

After...still room for longer sheet goods cut-offs even after I move the cabinets back in that cubby

Hopefully, I can start moving the rest of the stuff around this coming weekend...'cause it looks like I'm getting a couple more tack trunk commissions.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-15-2014 at 7:26 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sorry to hear of your friend and the tough circumstance in which his family finds itself. My family was at that heartbreaking juncture with my mother a little more than three years ago.

There wasn't much time for the workshop this weekend, but I found opportunities to finish up one small project and start another. We have a window perch for the cats that was attached with hook & loop to the window ledge and brackets that rest against the wall underneath to keep the perch horizontal. That arrangement couldn't hold the weight of our tubby felines (the adhesive of the hook & loop let go when the window ledge got warm), so I replaced the brackets with legs that reach the floor, made from borg-bought spindles and some scrap, finished to more or less match the nearby furniture.

Started building a dust collection hood for the miter saw--the first of probably many attempts to tame this tool's notorious dust cloud, if everyone else's experience is any indication--with a 4x10 register box at the top of a ply and hardboard enclosure to be installed behind the saw. I've got to do a similar thing for the RAS, too.
    Chuck Taylor

5. Been rushing to prepare for the winter months by replacing the 60 year old basement windows with glass block units. Unfortunately, the original installer made the opening in the cinder block/brick house just small enough that a 14" x 32" pre-made glass block assembly won't fit by about a quarter inch or less. So for each window opening, I have to air hammer the concrete sill out, re-pour it an inch lower, and install the new glass block window. Will be completing number 3 of 7 this afternoon. Not the most difficult job in the world, but it sure is messy!.....

Blog Entries
    Dennis, sorry to hear about your friend.

My son had the flu Saturday. My wife was sick yesterday.

Saturday I spent the time cleaning house. Later, I ended up strategizing with the mayor. In my role as the vice chair of our neighborhood council. The council is the interface with the city, county, and coastal commission. We are working to redeveop a parcel in the harbor.

Sunday, I fabricated and installed the door to my saw till (see thread in the Neander forum for pics). Back at work today.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"