Thread: Sketchup 8, what a total let down

Sketchup 8, what a total let down

What an absolute shame for sketchup. Extension warehouse hardly ever works, 3D warehouse is super glitchy from within the program. The new with extensions, its unreal. What a total foul up.

I have spent the afternoon trying to come up with a workaround for an older plugin in .rb format. No luck. Searching the extension warehouse for anything, even something arbitrary, comes up with " what a bummer your search turned up 0 results" or something to that effect.

The trimble move was a complete and total disaster but of course who could expect the day to never come where someone attempting to profit from something that was so great and destroying it in the process would never come.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-15-2014 at 6:06 PM.

I use SketchUp 8 all the time w/o problems. The Plugins I use work fine, as does the 3D Warehouse. Have you tried uninstalling it and then installing a fresh copy?

John

Blog Entries
    I use SketchUp 8 in lieu of 2014. I really don't have issues with 8.

2014 is OK, but I'm used to the screen in 8 and prefer it.

My other cad software is AutoCad 2004. I use it more than Sketchup. If I didn't have Autocad, I would probably have the professional version of SketchUp.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I use SketchUp 8 all the time w/o problems. The Plugins I use work fine, as does the 3D Warehouse. Have you tried uninstalling it and then installing a fresh copy?

John
    Searching extension warehouse from the web so its not an issue resident in sketchup. I have no problem operating inside sketchup 8 but I have some older plugins, housebuilder is one (makes quick and easy stud walls) that 8 wont seem to recognize when copied to the plugins folder (sketchup 8 still recommends copying .rb files).

Im having some other issues with arbitrary scene tab's and layers being created as well (perspective scene, private scenes, and so on).

I am sure there are answers to all these things, and I am in no way averse to change. To the contrary I love change. However when you have something that people are accustomed to and you move 180 degrees away from it with an upgrade its a little frustrating. Moreso because this affects how I earn my living. Drawings are time consuming as it is but then when you upgrade and have to spend hours re-working things that were effortless before it gets a little annoying.

I've been using 8 for a while now and have not experienced any problems, other than one severe rendering problem that is still hanging around from 7.
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

2014 extension warehouse stuff is broken today. Unusable. Even the web version is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Barrett View Post
    2014 extension warehouse stuff is broken today. Unusable. Even the web version is broken.
    It works fine for me. Just opened it a few moments ago with no problem. Both directly from SketchUp and directly from my internet browser.

If you are trying to get to it from the Window menu and can't, clear the Internet Explorer or Safari caches and try again. Even if you don't use IE or Safari as your default browser, SketchUp does. Also if you haven't been keeping IE up to date, get it up to date.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 09-15-2014 at 7:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    I agree that you should re-try your installation and confirm your settings. You don't mention your OS but I primarily use SketchUp 8 with Windos 7 and prefer it to all the other versions I have used. I keep current versions around to open things to new for 8. I use a large number of plug-in form Thom Thom, Fredo and others.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use it on a mac, never a problem with 8, nor 2013. I tried using it on a wintel box on Windows 8.....ouch. Its like going form driving a sports car to driving a forklift in reverse on the highway. Not just the learning curve IMO, everything is just cumbersome or not there. If your plug ins suddenly stopped working I'd be looking at microsoft at least as much as trimble as the cause.

It's not that plugins suddenly stopped working for Mark.

I use it on both PC and Mac. It works well on both but there are a few minor differences. I don't agree that there's a performance hit on the PC. I've got SU8 Pro, SU2013 Pro and SU2014 Pro on both machines. They all work well but I can't see any reason for going back to SU8 or even SU2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    It's not that plugins suddenly stopped working for Mark.

I use it on both PC and Mac. It works well on both but there are a few minor differences. I don't agree that there's a performance hit on the PC. I've got SU8 Pro, SU2013 Pro and SU2014 Pro on both machines. They all work well but I can't see any reason for going back to SU8 or even SU2013.

I remember having trouble scaling prints on the PC version, having trouble controlling font sizes in text pointers on pages, and just generally everything feeling like it was one too many clicks away for my comfort, buried in too many windows. But most things PC feel that way to me.

Those things aren't difficult on the PC but they are different. With SU8 and before on PC, the docked toolbars were a problem for resizing the drawing window to make scaled prints that never occurred on Mac because the toolbars don't dock on the Mac. With improvements to the toolbars in SU2013, resizing the window doesn't cause any issues with the the tools. It's a heckuva lot easier to use LayOut for making scaled drawings, though and the dimensioning tools are better so I do all that stuff there and not in SketchUp.

It works fine for me. Just opened it a few moments ago with no problem. Both directly from SketchUp and directly from my internet browser.

If you are trying to get to it from the Window menu and can't, clear the Internet Explorer or Safari caches and try again. Even if you don't use IE or Safari as your default browser, SketchUp does. Also if you haven't been keeping IE up to date, get it up to date.
    The extension warehouse is working fine today. I'm pretty sure it was broken yesterday morning. I've seen this before on several different computers. They don't run a very tight ship...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Barrett View Post
    They don't run a very tight ship...
    I don't agree but we're all entitled to our opinions.

I don't agree but we're all entitled to our opinions.
    Agreed that we don't have to agree. I've seen a lot of flakiness out of them.