Thread: Box Joint Cabinet

Box Joint Cabinet

Hello all. I'm building a display cabinet and have a question. I'm assembling the cabinet carcass using box joints and wondering if I should use box joint for the lower drawer construction or would it look ok to use dovetails for the drawer. Answering my own question I think I should use box joints for both, but what is the general consensus?
    Last edited by John Patricks; 09-15-2014 at 5:53 PM.

I would probably stay with a box joint.... but that's my .02 cents.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Consistency is always good but so is some variation. Your call really.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I may scrap the whole box joint idea. Box joints always seem arts and craft or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by John Patricks View Post
    I may scrap the whole box joint idea. Box joints always seem arts and craft or am I wrong?
    Mortise and exposed tenons makes me think of A&C, not box joints.

Box joints don't have to look A&C. Don't put yourself in a box. Design and make what feels intuitively right to you and your eye. To my eye, if your carcass corners will be exposed, then my eye wants the drawers to mimic those edges. However, my eye also thinks that using the same finger dimensions might either look too busy on the case or too wide on the drawer. If I had to do it, and wanted box joints, I'd size my fingers to make the boxes look good, and then I'd use variably spaced fingers on the carcass that mimic the width of the fingers on the drawers.

Thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate it.