Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Baltic birch ply no longer the nominal thickness?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    This is my experience too with BB - then there is/was Apple Ply - a great tight muti-ply product in American standard dimensions though I have not used it for at least a decade so I don't know if it still exists.
    Still there in Eugene, they also make regular hardwood faced plywood that I use for cabinet boxes.

http://www.appleply.com/about.php

If you are going to route some dado's, Whiteside makes a great set of bits, for what is called undersize ply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Platt View Post
    Folks - I'd gotten a sheet of 1/2 inch baltic birch from my local supplier (a place called CWG in Enfield CT) a few days ago, and it is only .47 inches thick. Otherwise it looks like the same stuff I've been buying for years, multiple thin plies, good quality of face veneers.

Wondering if it was my memory going south rather than the wood, I checked some old scraps I had around, and they were dead on .50 inches. I don't know if the stuff has changed, or my supplier found a cheaper thinner ply, or there was a bad batch.

It's mostly annoying because I use it to make drawers, and I use a lock rabbet as my joinery, made with a dado set on the TS. Everything gets set to 1/4 inch, and it's very straightforward. With this thinner stuff, setting up is harder.

Anyone else notice this?

Ken
    It's interesting that you mention that. I got a load of 1/8" baltic birch about three weeks ago, and it's all 0.125", whereas the last batch was 0.112". I think I like the 0.125" better, but I'm concerned about consistency, and what the next load will be.