Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MJ Splitter Issue - ANSWER from MicroJig

MJ Splitter Issue - ANSWER from MicroJig

OK.....Here is the answer that I got from MJ about Jim DeLaney's and others issues with the MJ splitter:

Hi Dennis,
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Generally, there are two possibilities that will cause the MJ Splitter to be pulled out of the mounting holes:

1. Using a Thin Kerf Blade with the 1/8” Green MJ Splitter.
    2. Ripping a reaction board that closes and binds the MJ Splitter.
    Both cases, the kerf becomes narrower than the splitter body and acts like a pair of pliers to pull the splitter in the direction of the feeding. When a MJ Splitter is pulled from its mounting holes due to “closing force” of the stock, it acts as a “kerf keeper” and sending a signal to the operator that the wood board is reacting and it is dangerous to continue with table saw operation. When using a conventional splitter with “reaction wood,” this will cause the work piece to bind the splitter and saw blade. As well as, cause possible equipment damage and a hazardous working environment For the same reason, we do not suggest the use of a Thin Kerf Splitter on a 1/8” saw blade, it will generate a larger closing force on the saw blade.

As we understand, most of the woodworkers do not use a conventional splitter because of the hassle of installing/removing/reinstalling (possible re-alignment). However, because of the simplicity and convenience of using the MJ Splitter, MJ Splitter is actually putting in used by its owner..

It was a decision for us whether to make it simple to use and use it as a kerf keeper if it were to be pulled out, or we should reinforce it by a fastener at the bottom of the ZCI and so it requires an extra step to remove, it would probably not be used as much. We would very much appreciate to hear preferences from the group.

Anyway, we did put an Important Warning message on the Installation Manual:

<B>Important:</B> <I>All Micro Jig products are designed to increase both safety and accuracy in woodworking. Thus, an additional feature of the MJ Splitter is that it serves as a warning device when wood is not suitable for cutting on the table saw, or when your technique is inherently unsafe. Cutting wood with internal stress on the table saw can often lead to bodily injury as well as damage to equipment regardless of the type of safety devices in use. While closing or twisting behind the saw blade, wood with a great amount of internal stress may grab both sides of the MJ Splitter and pull it out of its mounting holes. Unsafe cutting technique can also pull the MJ Splitter from the ZCI, e.g., improper feeding with no downward pressure can cause the wood to lift off the table saw surface, and excessive feeding pressure from the off-cut side toward the fence can cause the wood to pinch the MJ Splitter. Although the MJ Splitter will act as a “kerf keeper” if it is pulled out of its mounting holes during a cutting operation – you must consider this event a warning signal! Turn off the table saw immediately to avoid personal injury and damage to equipment due to uncontrollable wood movement, and take the appropriate corrective action before proceeding. The use of the standard kerf green MJ Splitter (SP-0125) with a Thin Kerf blade may also cause the MJ Splitter to pop out. Using a Thin Kerf Yellow MJ Splitter (SP-0100TK) with a 1/8” saw blade may leave too much of a gap, which will lessen its effectiveness. Be sure to choose the MJ Splitter designed for the thickness of your saw blade in present use!</I>

If you have lost your installation manual, here is the link to the Installation Manual. It is the last paragraph in the manual.

There are different ways to keep the MJ Splitter in place and prevent it from being pulled out as a “kerf keeper” in the same situation.

1. To epoxy the MJ Splitter permanently into a dedicated ZCI.
    2. To install double MJ Splitters – one for the keeper piece and the other for the off cut piece (both with mini feather board effect). The double MJ Splitters not only keeping both sides of the board clear of the rear spinning saw teeth for cleaner and safer cut, it also releases the binding from a closing board – cause the closing board closes on surfaces of two different MJ splitters. However, there is limitation on installing double MJ Splitters, please watch a slide show on the double MJ Splitters for more information. The slide show is illustrated with the yellow Thin Kerf MJ Splitter, it will be the same steps for the green 1/8” kerf MJ Splitter.

For those who have a deformed pin on the MJ Splitter insert, please give us a call at <B>(407) 696-6695</B> or email us at sales@microjig.com and we will offer you a best possible solution.

We are also looking into other possible approaches to meet the preferences of the end users. We are listening, we do appreciate those who have supported us and shared their experiences with our products.
    <B>----- End of Response from MJ -----</B>
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks D.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    OK.....Here is the answer that I got from MJ about Jim DeLaney's and others issues with the MJ splitter:...
    So, basically they're trying to say it's a 'feature' and not a bug.

Since I, and presumably the others as well, was using it properly, I really don't agree much with their response. Sound almost like the sort of response you'd get from Microsoft or the phone company's customer service.

I think I'll just find/mak an alternative instead of replacing the MJ.

I just thought of something. I think I'd rather have it come out than to bind the work. At least it would stay in the kerf. I like the double splitter idea, too. It's very seldom I ever get reaction wood that strong.

link to parent thread

In case anyone is wondering, this thread expands upon the information that Dennis provided in the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22171.

I think MJ has it right...no item is perfect and the cost of the MJ splitter is very, very reasonable compared to most other solutions.

In cases of extreme splitter binding, it might be safest to avoid using the TS or avoid using that piece of wood. Or perhaps it is telling you something is seriously wrong in your TS set-up and you should be wary.

As I stated in the other thread that Frank pointed to, I ended up epoxying my MJ splitter into place because I wanted it to stay there and not ever come out. I used Jamie Buxton's idea of a "flip-a-ble" throat plate to quickly "disengage" the splitter if I needed to.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    So, basically they're trying to say it's a 'feature' and not a bug.

Since I, and presumably the others as well, was using it properly, I really don't agree much with their response. Sound almost like the sort of response you'd get from Microsoft or the phone company's customer service.

I think I'll just find/mak an alternative instead of replacing the MJ.
    Jim,
    So, what would have been an acceptable answer for you?
    To me, the MJ spilitter is a simpe and elegant solution to a problem that other manufacturers have developed compicated expensive solutions to, that do not work as well as the MJ splitter and cost 10 times as much. I probably would not even have a splitter on my saw if it were not for the MJ splitter because it is as close to hastle free as the is.
    I think they answered in to only way they could. I really do wonder what you were wanting them to say.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The idea of the wood binding and pulling out the splitter like a pair of pliers....seems a bit strange, that is its function. If that is a problem then it is not doing what it is designed to do. I think the key is to epoxy it into a dedicated throat plate. I will do that and I also have the Beismeyer which works well. I still think Board Buddies is a great safety feature....I noticed David Marks uses a similar roller guide it is great at eliminating kickback.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I agree with Jim D. He's got it exactly right.

Here's a product although it may be working some of the time but is not really doing the job and is failing during use.

Who ever heard of a splitter being ripped out? Is this a joke? If my splitter( a Delta removable) ever came out, I would think it's a poor design and a failed product. I can't believe all the excuses being made here for this one. Why?

If anything else failed like this most people would be very upset and demand action from the company. Yeah right, design feature! Just my opinion of course.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

An answer was desired about a product and I got the answer from the manufacturer. I can't do anything more. It works as designed.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, Thank you very much for getting the information. And of course any negative comments in my post are certainly NOT directed toward you but to a product that seems to have failed its mission.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

This could easily be a future F vs EZ type contest.
    I jave been using the MJ for about 8 months I think. When once it came out, I decided that it may have been partially my fault in drilling a loose hole, so I used some CA gel and re-inserted. I havent given it any thought since. It works. SInce then, I have added more MJ's to some other zero clearance inserts and I have been better at drilling the holes, but as a matter of course, I have CA'd them in place, too. This was before any knowledge of this debate, so I am not going to take sides...just rip safely.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

I bought one. Read the instructions and decided it was just too complicated for a simple splitter and returned it to the store. I'm glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    Dennis, Thank you very much for getting the information. And of course any negative comments in my post are certainly NOT directed toward you but to a product that seems to have failed its mission.
    Alan,

No harm done buddy. Just trying to make sure that everyone got an answer from the manufacturer on this particular issue.

The way I see it? Did the MJ Splitter keep you from experiencing kickback? More than likely so. Then it did what a splitter is designed to do, no matter who made the splitter. A splitter's design is to help reduce the chances of kickback. Some splitters are fixed while others are removable. It's just up to us as to what we decide to use or purchase for our TS's if anything at all.

Above all....work safely and think every cut through before you turn on the saw. It does make a difference.
    Dennis -

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    I agree with Jim D. He's got it exactly right.

Here's a product although it may be working some of the time but is not really doing the job and is failing during use.

Who ever heard of a splitter being ripped out? Is this a joke? If my splitter( a Delta removable) ever came out, I would think it's a poor design and a failed product. I can't believe all the excuses being made here for this one. Why?

If anything else failed like this most people would be very upset and demand action from the company. Yeah right, design feature! Just my opinion of course.
    Alan, I am surprised by your very strong reaction.

And I disagree with you. As a MJ splitter owner, I was surprised when the splitter came out but it certainly never occurded to me that it was not doing its job. It's job is to prevent kickback and it did that job, even when it pulled out.

In my opinion the MJ Splitter is cheap, easy to install, easy to use, and it very much reduces the possibility of kickback. Sure, I would rather have a riving knife, but my saw (a General 650) cannot be fitted with one.