Thread: Advice for beginner on General International lathe please

Advice for beginner on General International lathe please

Hello all,
    Been hanging around reading the forums for a while, finally decided to post.
    I am looking at getting back into turning, and need some advice on a lathe.
    I am looking at a General International, Model 25-114. link here: http://www.general.ca/products/1_gen...he/25-114.html
    I did turning for around a year or so, back in my teens (almost 20 years ago now, wow time flies), loved it, and would like to get back into it, and maybe interest my son as well. Mainly interested in bowls, vases, smaller items for now.
    This lathe looks interesting, nice features, decent swing, power, reverse, VS, etc, but it is an "off-brand", or should I say not a Jet, or whatever.
    I'd like any comments, feedback etc. Anyone own this lathe? Seen it/used it?
    Budget is relatively constrained (wife, kids, the usual), so don't want to go overboard on costs...
    LMK your thoughts
    Cheers
    Dan

Hi, Dan:
    I have the 25-114 as a second, portable lathe that I can set up out in the back yard in nice weather. I don't use it nearly as heavily as someone who was using it as their main lathe would, but it has done everything I have asked of it. Alignment between centers was spot on right out of the box and the fact that the banjo uses tool rests with a 1" post rather than the 5/8" post that most of the lathes in this size have was a big selling point for me, since it means that I can use all of the rests I have for my main lathe on the small lathe. For someone starting out it would also mean that if the turning bug bit and they bought specialized rests for the GI and then upgraded to a larger lathe down the road they would be able to keep those rests for use on the big lathe.

The only problem I have with the lathe is that I am used to turning on my main lathe, which is a Oneway 2436 with a 3 hp. motor. The GI has a 3/4 hp. motor and it takes me a while to adjust to having to take lighter cuts than I am accustomed to being able to take when I use my main lathe. The first lathe I ever had was a 3/4 hp. lathe and I don't remember feeling that it was underpowered, but now that I am used to more power it does feel a little limiting.

Take care
    Bob

Thanks Bob. Appreciate the input. I think I just might go for it.
    Have to get shop area set-up and ready first.
    Dan

Dan, I have the General Maxi, about 10 years old. Mine has set screws to hold the pulleys on the shafting. Not a good set up as the screws slipped on me. Mind you, this was in the early days of turning bowls and I didn't have decent chisels nor did I do the pre-shaping of the blanks very well. This resulted in a lot of hammering force on the drive system. Nevertheless, it pretty much screwed up that lathe. I now have the General 25-650, which I have used quite a bit and quite like.