Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: should a protractor head read like this?

Poorly made unit. You can clearly see the poorly stamped indicator lines on each side as just one example of poor quality. That type of head is never relied on for high accuracy but you should expect better than 1 degree. It isn't even close to that.

Could also be counterfeit. Did you buy it on eBay or Amazon? There seems to be a flood of counterfeit high end items lately.

When I took lessons at the Starrett plant many years ago, one of the checks on that tool was @ the 180 degree mark. That tool is either counterfeit, or they moved production of it to China.
    I would send them an email, with pictures, and ask them. There is no excuse for their tools to read like that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    . You know, Starrett quality has been going into the toilet for a good number of years now. Brown and Sharpe seems to have gone to hell too. Mitutoyo is still solid as ever.
    That's like finding out there is no Santa Claus!

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Tell me about it. Starrett's been in decline for a good while now. I'm not saying they're junk, but there was a time you could buy any Starrett tool, and it would function perfectly right out of the box, just about every time. Those days are long gone. Brown and Sharpe quality has started declining as well. Certainly, the fit and finish of their products, at least, is in decline. Since Mitutoyo still seems to have their act together, and Starrett and B&S aren't exactly bargins, I have a hard time recommending them anymore these days. I think Starrett still make nice rules, though the markings aren't as deep as they use to be (grrrrr....I have my own reasons for liking the deep markings better), but they're nice and readily available. The combo squares still seem to be OK too, at least last I checked.

I just checked my Brown and Sharpe protractor head. It's got the same problem although it is less than half a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    When I took lessons at the Starrett plant many years ago, one of the checks on that tool was @ the 180 degree mark. That tool is either counterfeit, or they moved production of it to China.
    I would send them an email, with pictures, and ask them. There is no excuse for their tools to read like that.
    Agree, I'm getting a full refund through Amazon. I'm going to grab a vintage Mitutoyo (japan made, not mexico or brazil)

The autumnal equinox shifted the gravitron flux of the earth's magnetic field variation. It should self-correct in a few millennia.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    What? No Santa? I had Santa send back another type of Starrett protractor a few years ago because of similar problems like the OP stated above. Santa did just that but got frustrated with the usual poor quality replacement unit and gave up. Sent it back again (three times) and left me credit on Amazon which I never cashed in.

Anyone else have an older protractor head of any make? What does yours look like when you rotate it 180 degrees?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I have a Starrett that is between 15 and 20 years old. It looks to be about 1/4 or 1/3 degree off in the normal position, dead on when upside down for what it is worth.

James

My B/S came from an uncle,haven't checked but it's probably post WWII....1950?Anyway,it does not have marks 180* apart,It has two marks....looking at it like a clockface,one @ 3:00....the other @12.They are as close to perfect as an un-aided eye can resolute.It's used for general purposes,we use the same co's vernier protractor as more of the,"go-to" instrument for higher precision.

My Starrett head reads about 1/2 degree off when turned 180. My Union Tool head is dead on both ways.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It looks like the pivot point is not lined up with the marks. Definitely defective (or counterfeit). Returning it is a good idea. If it is an honest mistake, then hopefully they can fix the problem at the factory. If it is counterfeit, then they will just ship it to the next sucker and hope he doesn't check.

Steve

Protractor Head

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Behnke View Post
    just got a protractor head, when i look at the degree scale with the locking nut facing up, everything lines up properly. seen here:
    Attachment 297167

When i rotate the locking nut to facing down, the marks DO NOT line up properly, they look like they are off 1 or 1.5 degrees. seen here:
    Attachment 297168

Why is that, why does rotating it seem to make it read differently?
    For what its worth I have an old protractor head, suspect its a Starrett, that reads dead on. I'm very disappointed to read that some feel that Starrett's quality is becoming suspect. It would be very interesting to see what Starrett had to say about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Patch View Post
    For what its worth I have an old protractor head, suspect its a Starrett, that reads dead on. I'm very disappointed to read that some feel that Starrett's quality is becoming suspect. It would be very interesting to see what Starrett had to say about this issue.
    I agree. I too would like to see what they have to say.