Thread: Hollow chisel mortiser chisels -- Jet v Powermatic v ??

Hollow chisel mortiser chisels -- Jet v Powermatic v ??

So I'm shopping for a chisel set for a hollow chisel mortiser and realize that this is not a time to cheap out. . .but. . .

Locally there's a four piece Powermatic set for $153, and a five piece Jet set for $136 (Jet set includes a 3/4"). They seem like the same chisels based on appearance, which would make sense from a company standpoint, but pretty big price difference when you consider the addition of the 3/4" chisel.

Any recommendations between these, or for a different set? I don't mind paying for a quality set but want to be paying for quality and not for a name or just because.

Thanks.

Dave

If it's the benchtop tool you have, you'll be hard pressed to be successful with that 3/4" setup just because the machine may not be heavy duty enough to work with it well. That certainly was the case with the Jet that I owed years ago. I'm mention this to help you with your decision. Since unless something changed in recent years, Jet and PM are the same company, I would wonder what the actual different between the chisels are.

Whichever way you go, make sure you get a sharpening cone and when you setup each chisel set, know that the bit has to project enough to do the majority of the work. Some folks don't expose it enough and it's tough going with tearout, even if the square chisel is sharp.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

PM used to advertise that their bits in their mortise chisel sets have extra long shanks. Their HCM machines come with optionally used extensions to use chisel sets from other vendors that have shorter drill bit shanks.

I have no experience with them, but I am interested in the PM 719T mortiser, and concerned about this difference, since changing between non- & PM chisel/bits appears to be significantly more effort than changing between only-PM chisel/bits (or between non-PM chisel/bits).

It might not be wise to purchase a mix of PM and non-PM chisel/bits.

Anyone have experience in this regard?

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I've got older Jet chisels, and they seem to work fine. I just did a bunch of 3/8 mortices in white oak (and particularly hard examples thereof) and had no trouble. You probably could use the 3/4" in softer wood, it may struggle in harder woods like maple or oak. I'm pretty sure I have used my 3/4" in pine before without trouble.

Not sure what kind of mortiser you have, but note that the Jet bench top mortisers use a different length auger shank than the Delta (type 2) bench top mortisers. The Jet shank is longer. If you have a Delta (type2) bench top, the Fisch mortice chisels are probably the best you can get. They are made in Austria and are not cheap. When I test fitted one of my Fisch chisels in my Jet (I have both the Jet and the Delta benchtop mortisers) it didn't get much purchase on the bit, not sure if it would have enough holding power for an actual mortise.

From Acme's website the Jets are from Taiwan, and the Powermatics are made in Japan, and from, which may account for the price difference. I suspect the quality of your sharpening job may have more actual effect on how the chisel works more so than the country of origin.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 04-27-2020 at 7:57 PM.

The Japanese made "Premium Bits" from Lee Valley are excellent. I'm sure the Fisch bits are also great. The Chinese ones that came with my General International mortiser not so much. Regular honing with a diamond cone does wonders for any bit.

I second the difficulty of a small mortiser with a 3/4” bit. I had a Delta a while ago and the 1/2” was hard to use (even after sharpening) in hardwood. If you really need to push hard on those benchtop models things start to flex and your mortise suffers.

I don't use it often, but I bought the Fisch bits, and they seem excellent.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thanks all. The mortiser will be the PM 719, though I wasn't so much wanting the 3/4" as it seeming like a bonus if the Jet and PM were the same chisels. Good catch on different country of manufacture on the Jet and PM, might explain a lot. The Fisch seem like a good option, pricey, but not really so compared to LV or PM sets.

Best,

Dave

I second the Lee Valley recommendation. I have two of them, and they are much nicer than what came with my Jet bench top unit.

I have the PM benchtop mortiser. I bought the PM chisels. I've been nothing but happy with them.

Whatever you buy, spend a little time prepping them for use. I polished the outside on all 4 sides on my diamond stones. Then I cleaned up the inside as best I could. The chisels cut smoothly and well.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”