Thread: corrugated

corrugated

from the Calabash Zia series

untitled

similar to corrugated southwest style
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is my new favorite in the series, Charlie. Do you mind sharing your technique for the triangles?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Doug,
    I knew I was going to try to do a corrugated form when I was turning it. being the first time I really did not know the best way to do it. if I had know I would have marked the squares and then halved it on the lathe. but since I only had the idea I turned the form and put it in chest of drawers for 4 days, it was stabilized at that point. I took some scrap I had cut off a form because it was to large to expermint with. i used different cutters that i had with a dremel machine plus a chip cutting knife. the chip cutting knife made the best cut, but i was not working with basswood, bradford pear is not super hard but it would have taken me 3 months to carve the triangles needed.
    normally when i do a Calabash Zia form i use an irregular rim, but since i was going to mark the form off the lathe i made the rim even. to mark the form i used a pencil, i measured down to leave a clear lip, and used the same distance to measure up. marked several places around the vessel and then connected the points. i then measured the distance from the bottom of the lip and the top of bottom space, divided this to equal four spaces and marked those distances all the way around. the squares made i divided into two and marked.
    i finnally choose two round cutters with flat tops from dremel. i used the larger to rough out the triangle and the smaller the refine the cut, did some sanding. if still took 3 sessions to cut the triangles.....i can turn a whole lot longer than i can carve, nerve racking. always use safety glasses or face shield and dust mask.
    i used white gesso to coat turning inside and out, let dry, sand with 240 grit lightly. airbrush colors on, did inside first then outside. used black gesso on rim.
    some of the cutting system such as Dixie Biggs uses would make smoother cuts, but i am happy with the rough cuts i made, since i usally try to leave a patch of rough wood from the outside of the blank somewhere on the turning, sort of a calling card of the imperfections of a bygone craftmanship.
    i found the corrugated forms in Earth Water and Fire, the prehistoric pottery of Mesa Verde by Norman T. Oppelt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for sharing.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I like this one a lot, Charlie!

6. Hey Charlie.......after seeing this and remembering the ones you had in the instant gallery at the Va. Symposium, I can say I am struck by the vivid colors you use on this series! Nice, bold, and unique....each one! I think you have a cool series going here!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!