Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodpecker's Carpenters Square

Bridge City designs are often way too extreme. That brass block plane they made looked as if it had been stretched way too far. Their little brace is just bizarre. I think the guy is into triangles or something. Same with their combination square. Nice awl,if you don't drop it and break off the delicate palm grip on the handle. Nice design,though.

Do you refer to the red and gold Incra square? I don't know of any other with that color scheme. I have an Incra miter gauge on my table saw,but it proved so slippery I could not cut a board straight across with it. I faced it with beechwood to finally get it into use.

It isn't that I HATE the looks of anodized aluminum. I just don't like aluminum tools. They are too easily dinged. And then,they look awful. I'd sooner have some good,hard,stable wood. At least it doesn't look bad when it gets a few scratches. I made and used wooden squares for many years in the musical inbstrument shop. The largest one I made was a 20" blade pearwood one,faced with boxwood. I left it there,unfortunately. Not much use except on harpsichords,though.

Yes, Incra. It probably wasn't an indication of incra's quality, just that particular square was a dud. The guy who bought it never returns anything, he just curses what he got instead and never buys from the company that made defective goods. I'm sure they would've replaced it if he'd have asked.

When I see aluminum, some thoughts come into my head
    * I could dent it
    * I could accidentally shave edges of it off with a marking knife
    * it's cheaper to mill (and probably cheaper to buy) than steel

I don't like any of those things, but I'm sure if it was all steel, the commensurate price increase would go along with it.

George - you have a starrett 24" engineer's square, don't you? I think I've now talked to two other people who have one. I got mine on ebay for $19 and it's undamaged and in great shape. I could hardly believe it. It's got US marks on it and it came from a guy who lived near a naval yard and bought garages full of decommissioned tools. he was dead by the time I got it, but he'd probably roll in his grave if he found out it sold for $19. It's probably $2 a pound at that price!

Yes,my biggest square is about that size. I'd have to go check. But,new,those big squares are way over $1,000.00. I got all of mine in excellent shape for much cheaper,except for the 6" Starrett for $75.00. That guy used to sell at Schupp's Grove. He was a little steep for the time period,but he had lots of good machinist's tools. Eventually he vanished. Some other dealer told me he was in jail for STEALING the stuff!! I did notice he carried a pistol under his coat. So,he got it for free,and charged a lot for his stuff!!

Must say I'd agree that aluminium isn't a good bet for long term survival in good condition when used for everything - not in circumstances where stuff is going to get banged about.

Against that I'm a big fan of Incra. I have quite a bit of their stuff, and it works very well - handled intelligently its very accurate. Great service, and good hands on knowledge of the positioners. I wouldn't put it in a commercial shop where it would get abuse, but it's not targeted there either...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 09-24-2014 at 3:26 PM.

I think this item would be an excellent addition to any tool collector's set.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Chris Vesper is making very accurate squares. They really fall into the realm of machinist's squares,but he sells them to wood workers. He checks them against a very accurate cylindrical square. I have several of his. Wish he'd offer his small one with INCH markings!
    I came really close to buying one of those little gems at WIA.
    Making something that small, so well is rare.

On walking around, I found it was something I wanted desperately - but did not need.

Still, as demonstration of the machinist's art - it was a wonder.

There was a line to fondle the bevel gauges, but the little gauge with it's deeply engraved beams - how I want one!