Thread: A little idea to mix up posture while sanding

A little idea to mix up posture while sanding

Hey all - I had an idea today at the shop that might be useful to some of you. I've been recognizing for a while that something like this might have a place but it hit me today that it could come together with what I had right around me, no need to make an extra station in the shop.

I've been doing a lot of NE work and have been sanding with the angle drill on the lathe, using my indexing pin to lock the spindle and access the wings. Lots of time bent sideways to do the work has been making me unhappy about spending so much time in the same stance. Sometimes when the piece comes off the machine I'll do the last bit holding the work or nesting it in an old T-shirt, however I highly prefer to keep two hands on the drill for stability and wrist comfort.

So, the trick - I took my reverse chucking alignment adaptor (although a threaded pipe would also work) and dropped it right in the banjo, and put my chuck with the piece onto it. It's a super quick change over, easy and natural to go to the tool rest tensioner to spin the piece.

Downside - this setup is a little high for me. I would be happier if it was about navel level. Also the dust remains in the bottom of the piece and need to be blown out.

One other thing PM owners might notice about these photos - no bulky name plate to dig into your thigh. You can thank me later.

IMG_0184.jpgIMG_0185.jpg

Great idea! I would sometimes set the chuck on the ways and use the banjo for a 'back stop' but that was only for the last grit or two because i was fearful of the stability. I may try something along your lines. Thanks for sharing!

Looks like there is possibility of damaging the M2 taper on the reversing adapter.
    Fred

George, another item to remove is the knob on the tail stock storage compartment as it can get in the way of some tool work. The name plate was uncomfortable as you mention and a debris collector as well.

When you set up ypur PM lathe, simply put the nameplate on the side AWAY from where you stand. Lee Valley sells these for $13.50

Admittedly they are 5/8" dia shank, but adapters for the banjo are available and a company called Panavise sells this

for less than $30. It fits 5/8" shaft. I have one screwed to the face of my heavy workbench (which is low) so that I can sit and carve or sand.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have a Trent Bosch caving fixture and have been using it for this type of sanding. It allows full movemement and acess to all areas of the turning. Not cheap but handy.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks for the ideas. I have been mounting the chuck in my workbench's end vise.
    I happen to have one of those vices, Thom. If a 5/8 shaft will fit that sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    I have a Trent Bosch caving fixture and have been using it for this type of sanding. It allows full movemement and acess to all areas of the turning. Not cheap but handy.
    Beat me to it. It is a very well-made tool. I agree that it is expensive, especially for the pneumatic one, which is why I don't own one.

Trent Bosch = $150 for stand ~$500 for pneumatic. VERY well made, but very pricey too.

versus

Panavise < $30
    PSI $11 banjo adapter 5/8" to 1"
    Lee Valley $13.50 1 1/4" chuck adapter (same price for 1"-8tpi)
    total < $54 plus shipping or < $43 if you use a mini...

The panavise has a number of different holders for their bases and have a vacuum mounted base too. Worth a look.
    Not related to any of these except as a customer. A wood carver introduced me to the Panavise, but he was primarily a power carver and turner.
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 09-25-2014 at 3:54 PM. Reason: add links

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    PSI $11 banjo adapter 5/8" to 1"
    Lee Valley $13.50 1 1/4" chuck adapter (same price for 1"-8tpi)
    Can you link directly to these two products just to avoid (my) confusion? I'm still not quite visualizing it and I cannot find the PSI adapter you are talking about on their website. Thanks!

Also, the Panavise 400-series "heavy duty" mount takes a 1" shaft directly and is still pretty cheap at $45. I would certainly be interested in a cheaper alternative to the Bosch stand for carving platter rims in the near future. I would need something to hold 1 1/4" chucks though.
    Last edited by Justin Stephen; 09-25-2014 at 3:52 PM.

Done. You are right the 400 series is already 1" - I bought the 5/8" because the Lee Valley adapters are 5/8". I did buy both 1 1/4" and 1" chuck adapters from Lee Valley though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Done. You are right the 400 series is already 1" - I bought the 5/8" because the Lee Valley adapters are 5/8". I did buy both 1 1/4" and 1" chuck adapters from Lee Valley though.
    Great, thanks. Actually not sure how I could use the 400 series anyway. I would need a 1" shafted chuck/faceplate adapter to use it. All the Lee Valley ones are 5/8" and would only work with the smaller 300 series.

I wouldn't personally mount a Panavise on my lathe anyway. I'd rather mount it on a workbench. Seems more comfortable that way and also would allow for easier positioning of magnifier lights and what not since those are generally made to either bolt to a flat surface or clamp to a table edge. Plus, I always look for any excuse to sit on my butt.