Thread: SE Florida Hardwood Selection

SE Florida Hardwood Selection

Unless something unexpected happens, I expect to be a resident of SE Florida fairly soon. That got me to wondering about how and where I'll buy wood once there. I've got a great store near here and I love being able to hand select the wood I need for a project. I did a web search for stores in the West Palm Beach area and all I found was Constantine's in Ft. Lauderdale. Their website didn't show much of a selection.

Are there any other stores or will I need to stock up before I move?

I moved to the Daytona area about 3 years ago. I found that hardwood suppliers in Florida are few and far between. And, when you do find a supplier they are usually priced 2 or 3 times higher than what I paid for good hardwood while living in Missouri. I still have family and friends up north so about twice a year I drive my pickup and haul back what I think I will need for the next 6 months or so. The increased cost in fuel is more than made up for by what I save vice purchasing my hardwood down south. I know this is not the answer you are looking for. Good luck in whatever method you come up with.

Sounds like you better load up before heading down there, Julie! Or learn to love cypress!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

http://www.yachtteakinc.com/

547 NE 42nd Street
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33334
    Tel. 954-650-6525
    info@yachtteakinc.com

Julie,

If you come down I-75 through Middle Georgia (Perry, GA), give me a call. I have a number of species of hardwood that I saw, kiln dry, and sell to woodworkers. You can check out my website for info and how to contact me if you get over my way in your travels. You can find my website on "About" section of my profile.
    Last edited by Danny Hamsley; 09-26-2014 at 8:55 PM.

Danny,

I am going to be moving to Ponte Vedra, FL, which is just south Jacksonville, FL next year. Do you know how long a drive that would be to get to you?

Thanks.

Jack
    Go Mountianeers

From his site:
    325 miles from Jacksonville, FL When we think of Jacksonville, we think of Mr. Tom, one of the finest sawyers and gentlemen you could have ever met. Come on up from Jacksonville and we'll sit and visit a spell like you might have with Mr. Tom and I'll tell you about him.

Oh boy... looks like I'm going from feast to famine. I did find a place in Ft. L that catered to the boating business, so lots of mahogany and teak. Jim, your link makes me think I might be redirected from making guitars to making boats down there. I do love to sail and I had planned on retiring to a sailboat and cruising until old age stops me. Focusing on boats instead of guitars wouldn't be a bad trade off. It's just a little harder to move them around the shop.

Danny, we're driving down today. But this trip is for my SO, who starts work Monday, and everything is being packed in a sedan. We won't even have enough room in the car to change out minds. But I may take you up on that when I move down there. Just gotta get the house sold.

I moved to Florida's space coast in 2000 (just in time for the hurricanes of '04- '05 ). I have found tools and machinery are real cheap, but actual hardwood is expensive and not widely available. For me that simply meant a change in raw materials, using what is available locally- not too different from what the pioneers did. Cypress is one native wood and is reasonable in cost to acquire, works easily, and is a great indoor/ outdoor wood. Form followed function, and as time passed I dropped the northern inclination to add embellishments to my work such as ogee molding, fluting, etc. Less is more became my mantra, and it fits the lifestyle I have adopted down here at no loss of aesthetics, since simple and clean will always work yet letting the craftsmanship shine through. In short, be prepared to change, it will not diminish your journey to date.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Try mcewen lumber in delay beach. A division of hood distribution. They are a bit tricky to find on the internet but do list some items they carry.

Jack,

It is about a 4 hour drive, so quite a piece.

There's Hardwood Lumber & Millwork in Lakeland. They've got one of the better selections I've seen in Florida, but it's a four hour drive for me. Here in Jacksonville I've basically got Florida Southern Plywood and Woodcraft ($$$). After calling around for pricing at all three of those, I found that it was more cost effective to order from Wall Lumber in NC, even after the freight charges. Obviously, I'd have preferred to be able to pick through the stacks and actually lay hands on the lumber before parting with my hard earned money, but my experience with Wall has been pretty good to date.

While it's not too helpful, I recall going to a lumber yard with my brother to pick up some ash. It was somewhere near Groveland, FL. We drove 20 minutes to get there so somewhere around Apopka.

If I recall they had a good selection of kiln dried woods and the ash was reasonably priced for sure. Goodluck!

Look at Hood Distribution. They have a location in delray beach. This is who my local cabinet maker gets his stuff from. I haven't used them myself yet but this guy does some nice work so I doubt you would have any problems with. Have no idea on pricing though. Enjoy the sun! I used to live in Ft Lauderdale while I was in school. Fun town!!

Check out these place for some unique material in the Ft Meyers area
    https://www.facebook.com/Funktionhouse?ref=br_tf
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country