Thread: Laser cutting pewter

Laser cutting pewter

I have a client that wants to have some jewelry laser cut, not too intricate, I have no experience with pewter but I know it's relatively soft, does anyone know if it can be laser cut and if so what thickness might be possible with my 120 watts? Doing a search didn't turn up anything about cutting.
    Thanks
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Your New Hermes is the tool to use for that job. The laser won't do anything.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Possible but all 120 watts on Pewter will do is trash your machine and it's optics. Get to around 800 watts and thin material is possible, you need about 3kW to do real damage though.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Thanks Dave, that's what I thought but wasn't 100% sure!
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

If you want to mark it you can do so with the HPDFO. Cutting it would require at least 50-60 passes and it wouldn't look all that great. You'd almost be better off with a tile wetsaw and diamond blade.

Dave is right that you would need at least 400-500w to cut through it on Co2. A fiber is a bit more ideal for this application though.

-Kevin

We just did something similar but we used a waterjet to do the cutting.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

I've been having good luck getting through pewter sheet pretty fast, up to approx 2mm, more is possibile. Using a 30 watt fiber laser (Z-Tech). Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    Morning gang!

Just a thought. Is most pewter nowadays lead free? Might want to be sure before you vaporize it with a laser. I think it is lead free but am not certain.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.