Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Flex Duct over S&D Pipe - My Solution

Getting Flex Duct over S&D Pipe - My Solution

After a over a decade of meaning to get around to piping my dust collection system, I finally started making somewhat of an effort. Between being busy building my second shop, and commuting from Asia, things happen at a relatively slow pace in my life.

Anyway, I ordered some 6" flex pipe from Wynn Environmental to use on the transitions between my S&D PVC ducting and the machines. The problem, as I was to find out, is that the O.D. of the S&D pipes is about 6-1/4", and the flex duct is made to fit a 6" pipe. As hard as I tried, I could not get the 30 mil flex duct over the S&D pipe. I read about some people getting it to work with difficulty by using hot water to soften the flex duct, and others have cut slits in the green pipe so that they could squeeze it into the flex duct. Neither of these methods appealed to me, so I came up with a trial and error solution that I hoped would work. Below is an account of the steps I took, and the results (which I am very pleased with).

First, I started out with a piece of black pipe that was in my garage. I have no idea how it even got there -- I think it came with the house. It was rusty, but just the right size for me to work with. It had an O.D. of 6-5/8" and a 1/4" wall thickness. It would barely fit in my little Jet bandsaw, but I managed to rotate it a number of times until I cut off a piece 2-3/4" long.

IMG_1601 copy.jpg

Next, I mounted the pipe, which wasn't very round, on my 1948 Logan 14" lathe. I cleaned up the end, the inside, and a little of the outside. I flipped it, and matched up the ID to the other side. I took the whole outside down until it was .100" thick. This was just a ballpark guess at a size that would retain its shape, but would be flexible enough to bend by hand. The full 1/4" would not have been flexible at all. In the end, the thickness turned out to be just about right.

IMG_1603 copy.jpg

Once I got it finished on the lathe, I took it back to the bandsaw, and cut it lengthwise. I did some math to determine the final circumference that I would need on the ring. I determined that I needed to lose another 3/8" of circumference, so I flipped it upside down in the bandsaw (so that the vise was holding near the cut), and cut a parallel cut to the first one (from the inside out) 3/8" to the side.

IMG_1605 copy.jpg

Next trip was to the welder. I welded on two pieces of angle iron and a couple of hand holds. Pardon my welds. I was trying to pump this out quick, so I didn't take my usual care in producing nice welds. You can probably see where this was going by now.

IMG_1611 copy.jpg

At around this point, I decided to take the MAPP gas torch to a piece of S&D pipe as a test to see how easily it got soft. I probably should have tried this first, because the green pipe did NOT like the torch at all. I was kind of like taking a torch to a marshmallow. It just turned brown, bubbled up, and burned it (without even being close to getting soft. At this point, I figured that I just wasted all of my time and efforts building my compression clamp. What was I thinking? Anyway, out of the blue, I got another idea, and as luck would have it, it actually worked. I'll get to what I did in a couple of more pics.

For right now, I took a piece of S&D pipe to the router table and made an inside chamfer using a ball-bearing chamfer bit. This was to smooth out the transition in the air flow direction.

IMG_1613 copy.jpg

My compression clamp/collet in place on the pipe

IMG_1614 copy.jpg

Next step was the difference between this idea working, and being the disaster that I thought it was going to be after my failed torch attempt. The trick was to heat the clamp -- NOT the pipe. If the flame hits the pipe, it will burn, but if you keep the flame on the steel and keep it moving, the steel will distribute the heat uniformly. I just kept moving the torch around and every minute or so, tightened up the bolts with a socket on a long-extension ratchet, and a wrench. Eventually (it probably took maybe 5 minutes or so), I could tell when I was at the right temperature. The bolts just turned down very easily until they were tight.

IMG_1615 copy.jpg

Here is what it looked like tightened down with the clamp fully closed. You can see the nice, smooth transition inside the pipe.

IMG_1616 copy.jpg

continued...
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-25-2014 at 11:41 PM.

...continued

As soon as the clamp was shut, I turned off the torch, and took the whole thing over to the sink and cooled it off under a stream of water. This pic shows the transition as seen from the outside. The inside transition in this pic looks less smooth than it actually is. I think the heavy shadow in the pic is to blame. It's actually a smooth and subtle transition. I just included this pic because it's the only one I took showing the outside.

IMG_1618 copy.jpg

Final pic shows the pipe with hose attached. It was perfect fit. Snug enough for a tight seal, but the flex duct easily slid on with no fighting. This was truly a trial and error experiment, but it worked very well so I thought I'd share. I probably have about 8 or so of these to make, but it shouldn't take more than about 5-10 minutes a piece to pop them out.

IMG_1621 copy.jpg

Keith

Very creative! Well done.

I use a similar technique to "shrink fit" my metal blast gates in place. Instead of a torch, I use a pot of boiling water. Place worm gear clamp around pipe, then stand pipe and clamp in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes. Pull out of water, place over blast gate, and then using cordless drill, tighten clamp till everything is snug. Allow to cool, and then take clamp off. I do same thing to a S&D coupling when transitioning from S&D to metal

Blog Entries
    That is just awesome Keith.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Perfect!!!!! Now you will have to rent it out.

That is way cool and very clean and neat. I simply used metal 6" pipe to marry the flex to the S&D.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Try not clamping the lower nut all of the way for a more tapered transition...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Great idea, and brilliant execution, Keith! Just watch those fumes, eh?

I so WISH I had room for a mill and lathe in my garage. I could do just about anything if I could find space for such items. Oh, and I keep saying I'm going to learn to weld one of these days. I wonder when that day will arrive?!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I can't understand why the DE industry has not manufactured adaptors for this purpose.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Try not clamping the lower nut all of the way for a more tapered transition...
    Good Idea, but this particular clamp is way too rigid to do that. If I only tightened one clamp only, the end result would be very close to being the same.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Great idea, and brilliant execution, Keith! Just watch those fumes, eh?
    The fume buzz makes the project more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I so WISH I had room for a mill and lathe in my garage. I could do just about anything if I could find space for such items. Oh, and I keep saying I'm going to learn to weld one of these days. I wonder when that day will arrive?!
    If you have a welder, metal bandsaw, and decent-sized mill and lathe, there isn't a whole lot you can't do. Even though woodworking is my primary hobby, and I just took up machining a few years ago, I must say that machining something you need is every bit as satisfying. Be careful, though -- like woodworking, it's a slippery slope to fall down, but it can get expensive. The machinery is only the start. It's the tooling that adds up fast -- especially if you buy quality stuff.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments!

Keith

You could try a heat gun.

I hope to increase the capacity of my metal band saw soon beyond my porta-band sized Dewalt. Very handy tools.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 09-26-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Very impressive solution.

No sarcasm meant, but I am pretty sure Peachtree has a fitting that does that. I just saw it on a sale flyer. 4" hose to 4" S&D.

I have used movie lights to make hooks out of 3/4 inch schedule 40 pipe. Your idea is great and sounds very efficient.
    David B