Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Flex Duct over S&D Pipe - My Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Very impressive solution.

No sarcasm meant, but I am pretty sure Peachtree has a fitting that does that. I just saw it on a sale flyer. 4" hose to 4" S&D.
    Unfortunately everyone has adapters and fittings for 4", not many DC adapters are available for what should be used (5" and 6"). Twice as unfortunate is the fact that the availability of 4" DC fittings are inversely proportional to their usefulness. ie., there are only very few instances where one should be using 4" DC fittings. I fell into their trap. I figured since 4" was the largest size readily available it was the correct size. Then I found the 'Creek and learned otherwise. Now I have tons of 4" stuff I will need to replace with 5, 6, and 7" that I should have purchased. Sorry for stepping on the soapbox, just rubs me the wrong way..

Thanks, Anthony. I just re-read the initial post. Obviously I missed the fact that he was working on 6". Ooops, sorry Keith. My bad.

Rick P

Because it is green, I believe Keith is using SDR-35 which has a thicker wall than ASTM 2729. The OD's are the same but the thinner walled ASTM 2729 is easier to work with.

Another way to do this is to hang the pipe from the ceiling and attach weights to the end. Spin it slowly while you heat the last few inches with a propane torch. The pipe will eventually soften and stretch, and as it does it will neck down. When it cools you'll be able to slide flex onto it.

Alan is correct -- the green pipe is SDR-35 pipe bought at Menards (like Home Depot for those of you not in the Midwest.) It has an outer diameter of 6-1/4", and an inner diameter of 5-7/8".

Keith

Pardon my ignorance.

I've been wanting to follow this thread because I will be routing some ducting sometime soon but I feel like I'm missing something because I don't know what S&D pipe is. Can someone please enlighten this old ignoramus ?

S & D = Sewer and Drain. There are two kinds of plastic pipe used for dust collection: ASTM-2729 and SDR-35. Google them and you'll find more info than you care.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks, Chris.