Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uncrated and ready to go!!!!

Congrats, Steve
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

Congrats Steve, I would be changing my plans if I were you, I don't think I could wait to use it.
    Len

Relevant Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7jJnwEeiU0

Definitely agree re: the comparison between the 4224 and the AB. I love my 3520 and I highly recommend it and consider it a "best buy" for a large lathe. But if I was going to spend 4224 money, I would be hard-pressed to not just go ahead and get an AB instead.

Thom, if you aren't looking at turning large items and are looking at the Liberty vs 3520b, I would probably be leaning toward the 3520. Since they both have the 2hp motor the 3520b gives you a little more size capacity. JT Turning Tools has an after market swing-away that you can use to swing the tail stock out of the way. The current sale also makes it hard to pass up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

You must have opted for the 3hp too, rice lathe!

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I'm currently drooling over the Liberty - I don't generally turn large and like the sliding head. Currently $6100 with tilt-away, legs, and 2hp upgrade vs $4000 for the Powermatic with a higher top speed and digital speed readout.
    Thom, the Robust Liberty and its sit-down version, the Independence, do have digital readout.

Thumbs up

Jason--non of the Robust lathes have digital readouts. What you see are the VFD's. When I ordered mine, I talked to Brent about one and he said they have had a few people asking about them but not many. What you do get is a print out that shows the rpm's at the 10 different speed marks on the speed control knob.

John--you are correct, I did get the 3 hp.

Justin--got home earlier than we thought on Sunday so I was able to start turning yesterday. Put a 15" diameter x 5" thick piece of ash on it and started turning. It was out of balance but just controlled the speed and had not trouble with it. Ran smoothly and quietly. Very, very nice. Will do some more on it tonight..

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Jason--non of the Robust lathes have digital readouts. What you see are the VFD's. When I ordered mine, I talked to Brent about one and he said they have had a few people asking about them but not many. What you do get is a print out that shows the rpm's at the 10 different speed marks on the speed control knob.

Steve
    Hi Steve, have a look about 1/3 of the way down this page on the Liberty: http://turnrobust.com/Liberty_Photo_Gallery.html

Here is an excerpt: The motor drive (aka: "VFD" or "Inverter") can be mounted on the end of the lathe as shown here or on the wall behind the lathe using the same bracket. The spindle RPM is digitally displayed.

Like Thom, I've been looking pretty close at the Liberty too. I think you are 100% correct for the other models. Like the other guys in the thread, I have some lathe envy going on !!

But seriously, I think most people don't look at the RPM much after they get used to using the lathe.

Jason, do you have any salt and pepper that you could send me, I hate eating crow that is unseasoned

Congratulations Steve! I got to see those used and up close at the expo this summer and Wow! Now I know what to strive for "even if I don`t get there"

Well, it's too bad you couldn't get a Oneway, but congratulations anyway!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Congratulations Steve. I've had a Liberty for a year. It's my third lathe, my forever lathe, and I love it!

Frank