Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: becoming a wood shop teacher

becoming a wood shop teacher

I took wood shop classes all through middle school and high school and I loved it. I wouldn't mind becoming a shop teacher. Except they seem to be a rare breed. Most wood shops got shutdown once the teacher teaching it left. How would you get into a field like this?

At least in California (and many other states as I hear), most schools have dropped shop classes due to budget cuts. The schools in wealthy districts that pass supplemental school taxes generally don't stress shop. The schools I know of that still have shop are private. In fact, there is a private high school school in San Francisco that requires students to take shop every year and have a senior project that includes a shop component. Our local public high school has a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) program that it funds through private donations that has a shop component but it also uses electronics and computer programming.

Good luck. Seems like shop classes are a fond memory.

Well, there are, generally speaking, two routes. One is college, and the other is "trade and industry". I'm the latter.

The college route involves getting a BA in Industrial Education or something similar. The program names vary with the university, but generally you will end up with an Ed degree with a specialty in one of the CTE (Career and Tech Ed) fields. Once you get the four year degree you will be qualified (on paper, at least) to teach a range of subjects from Manufacturing (shop type classes) to Technology (CAD, Robotics, etc) and other related stuff. Then you student teach for a few months, and then you look for a job.

The T&I route is for guys with a lot of industry experience, so if you are a professional cabinetmaker, finish carpenter, furniture builder, etc, you could go through the job listings of all of your local school districts to see if they are looking for a teacher in a shop discipline. You then apply and work with the CTE Director of the school district to get a conditional or temporary teaching certificate, and they throw you to the wolves. That's what I did. It is VERY much a "right place at the right time" thing. Such jobs are generally/often/almost always filled by word of mouth. A CTE director will have a teacher retire, and will put the word out that he is looking for such-and-such a teacher, and gets referrals and leads. A LOT of people come in through this route, and the vast majority of them don't last very long. My dad was a good example. He was actually a little of both. After spending the second half of his Army career as an instructor, mostly college and high school ROTC, he retired from the Army with a social studies degree and taught high school social studies for a number of years. His dream was to teach wood shop, as he was a fairly accomplished hobby woodworker. He took some industrial arts courses and eventually a shop teaching job in his high school opened up. He lasted two years, and then retired for good.

I have a lot more, but I'm going to send it in a PM, so check your PM mail box.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 09-26-2014 at 10:38 PM.

I'm not sure where you are located but in New York State, the program is called Technology Education. Technology Education covers traditional courses such as Woodworking, Automotive Technology, Electronics, Small Engines, etc. Technology Education also focuses on Engineering. I've have been a Technology teacher for 11 years and love it. In New York State many Technology programs are alive and well. Middle Schools in New York are REQUIRED to have a middle school Technology program and many districts have a full high school program as well. I can say now there is a renewed interest in production type course but with a focus towards CAD and CNC machining...reason being most people that go to work in these fields will have to have some knowledge of those systems.

I graduated from the State University of New York at Oswego. They have one of the best Technology Education programs in the country. Their facilities are second to none. They just completed a multimillion dollar renovation...their new woodshop will make you drool.

Good luck if you chose this career - I have never once regretted it!

Woodshop in my school....100_0003.jpg

I've never seen a wood shop so clean! haha I can't really find any jobs in my area. There are only maybe 3 or so schools nearby me that have wood shops. It's just something i'll have to keep my eyes open for. Probably the best time to look would be close to the beginning of school.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Probably the best time to look would be close to the beginning of school.
    The year I taught, teachers' contracts for the next school year were due back to the principal by, like, April and, if a teacher chose not to renew, the principal started looking for a replacement immediately.

Typically school districts build their master schedules in the spring once their budgets have been approved. That is when they look to hire staff. Start looking in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Robinson View Post
    Woodshop in my school....100_0003.jpg
    Nice looking shop from what I can see of it. I would love to have hardwood floors like that in my school shop. It would be a lot easier on my feet than concrete. How big are your classes?

To become a wood shop teacher, you buy a good video camera, make videos in your shop, and upload them to YouTube. If you are any good you will get a following and people will spread the word. I like videos with some humor in them. Here is a great one of a guy making a needle case (if I can find it.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Nice looking shop from what I can see of it. I would love to have hardwood floors like that in my school shop. It would be a lot easier on my feet than concrete. How big are your classes?
    The max is 20 kids per class. The woodshop runs 5 periods a day.

Before going too far, I suggest you check with your State Education Department. Most States require certification to teach in public schools, which often involves having completed certain education courses- not having anything to do with the subject you teach, rather how to teach. Having to get these "creds" might be a deal breaker- just saying.

Good luck with your efforts. In hindsight, I wish I'd been able to take more shop classes in school.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Robinson View Post
    The max is 20 kids per class. The woodshop runs 5 periods a day.
    Nice. My smallest class is 21. Three woods and two Ag Mechanics.

I'm a high school woodshop teacher in Texas and you're exactly right, once the teacher leaves or retires they usually do away with the program for 1 of 2 reasons. 1-We are a very rare bread and becoming more extinct and 2-as Americans have become softer (mentally speaking) and everyone is scared of the dangers of the program the shop is usually closed down. The reason we are becoming more extinct is because most universities have left the "Industrial Technology" degrees and completely gone with engineering degrees. Engineers don't typically become teachers. I was lucky to be one of the last ones to get an Industrial Technology degree in my area. I am currently in my 12th year of teaching woodshop and 4 different schools within 100 miles of my location have tried recruiting me away to their school but I declined. All 4 of these schools have done away with woodshop since. I never intended on becoming a teacher but was in the right place at the right time when I was ready for a career change. I went through college on a golf scholarship and chose this field as my major. I never thought it would do anything for me but eventually fell bass-ackwards into what I would now call my dream job. Teach woodshop all day and coach golf after school. My wife is also a teacher and together we have an excellent combined income and an awesome family schedule in life. I hope you find what you're looking for. It will be difficult but there is one out there if you search hard enough. Good luck!

40 years ago I graduated with a BS in Industrial Arts, and took the teaching block to get certified to teach. Main reason was my parents insisted I go to college as they had saved the money, and the Vietnam war was on. I took industrial arts as that was the only subject I cared about in school. Taught 2 years as my dad insisted on it, then entered a career in construction. As of the latest school finance bill in Kansas, if you are a professional in a trade or music, you can teach in the public schools without a certificate. Interesting thing is, in college you don't need a certificate to teach any subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Davis View Post
    I'm a high school woodshop teacher in Texas and you're exactly right, once the teacher leaves or retires they usually do away with the program for 1 of 2 reasons. 1-We are a very rare bread and becoming more extinct and 2-as Americans have become softer (mentally speaking) and everyone is scared of the dangers of the program the shop is usually closed down. The reason we are becoming more extinct is because most universities have left the "Industrial Technology" degrees and completely gone with engineering degrees. Engineers don't typically become teachers. I was lucky to be one of the last ones to get an Industrial Technology degree in my area. I am currently in my 12th year of teaching woodshop and 4 different schools within 100 miles of my location have tried recruiting me away to their school but I declined. All 4 of these schools have done away with woodshop since. I never intended on becoming a teacher but was in the right place at the right time when I was ready for a career change. I went through college on a golf scholarship and chose this field as my major. I never thought it would do anything for me but eventually fell bass-ackwards into what I would now call my dream job. Teach woodshop all day and coach golf after school. My wife is also a teacher and together we have an excellent combined income and an awesome family schedule in life. I hope you find what you're looking for. It will be difficult but there is one out there if you search hard enough. Good luck!
    Do they pay a premium since it is hard to find an individual to teach?