Thread: Top coat choices for Rust Oleum Ultimate stains

Top coat choices for Rust Oleum Ultimate stains

Hi, I have used some of the Rust Oleum Ultimate stains in the past with good results but I used the Rust Oleum Ultimate semi gloss polyurethane as the top coat, pretty much because it was made by the same manufacturer and figured it would be easy, but I've been curious on whether there would be something better, even more glossy. Does anyone have any experience with using any other top coats/clear coats with that stain product? Could I use something like Bulls Eye Shellac over it? Lacquer? Anything else? What would be your recommendations? I'd love some tips and advice! Thanks again!
    --Dave

you said you used their semi gloss, for more gloss do they make/have a gloss?

if your worried about adhesion then sealing with a dewaxed shellac such as sealcoat would allow you to put pretty anything you want on it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    you said you used their semi gloss, for more gloss do they make/have a gloss?

if your worried about adhesion then sealing with a dewaxed shellac such as sealcoat would allow you to put pretty anything you want on it.
    Good question. They might make a gloss version but they didn't have any available when I originally purchased it. I will look into that. My main curiosity was if there is anything for a stronger, more long wearing finish, like in the case of a tabletop or bench? Or is Poly already the way to go for that? Thanks so much for your advice David!

poly isn't really the way to go for tabletops or benches. poly is popular because it is cheap and readily available at the big box stores. varnish would be a better choice (i.e. waterlox, behlens or pratt and lambert), then from there you move up to catalyzed finish which are more durable but usually harder to repair.

varnish would be a better choice (i.e. waterlox, behlens or pratt and lambert
    As an FYI - P&L #38 varnish appears to have been discontinued in much of the US. P&L says it's discontinued.
    Behlens Rock Hard is also gone. In it's place is Behlens Poly.
    Waterlox is still around though in it's original formula - - for the time being.

BTW - Those Rustoleum stains?

Good stuff! I had a small section of trim I needed to replace in the downstairs of one of our rentals. I needed it to be brown. I didn't care if it was painted or stained as long as it was brown.
    The Rustoleum stain was the cheapest so that's what I bought. I wiped a heavy coat of it on the soft pine trim and was surprised at how well and evenly it went on - - and - - w/out any blotching at all!
    I was impressed.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 09-29-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    BTW - Those Rustoleum stains?

Good stuff! I had a small section of trim I needed to replace in the downstairs of one of our rentals. I needed it to be brown. I didn't care if it was painted or stained as long as it was brown.
    The Rustoleum stain was the cheapest so that's what I bought. I wiped a heavy coat of it on the soft pine trim and was surprised at how well and evenly it went on - - and - - w/out any blotching at all!
    I was impressed.
    I agree. I originally bought some for a project I did for my sister. She chose it because she liked the color on the container better than the competitors'. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but was very pleasantly suprised when it came time to apply it. It went on fabulously with no extra surface prep other than sanding! I was also very impressed with it! Ever since then, I have been happy to use their stains and have done so with very good results. I used to use Minwax years ago, but now I'd say RustOleum and GF are my 'go to' stain products!

Pratt & Lambert 's web site still shows P&L 38 and gives store locations where it might be found. Not all locations in such listings actually have the product, but retailers who have decided not to carry a particular sku often tell customers the the manufacturer has discontinued it.