Thread: Creating a "Live Edge"

Creating a "Live Edge"

I obtained some large maple slabs some time back and removed the bark edges because they were infested with bugs. I wished I had killed the bugs some other way instead because I now want to create a "live edge" table and they would have been perfect for the top.

As anyone been successful in "creating" a live edge look with tools, stains, or other methods? I've seen one video where a jig saw and angle grinder were used, but was wondering if anyone can share some first hand experience.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post
    I obtained some large maple slabs some time back and removed the bark edges because they were infested with bugs. I wished I had killed the bugs some other way instead because I now want to create a "live edge" table and they would have been perfect for the top.

As anyone been successful in "creating" a live edge look with tools, stains, or other methods? I've seen one video where a jig saw and angle grinder were used, but was wondering if anyone can share some first hand experience.

Bob
    I have never done it with maple specifically but you may try a method I have had a lot of success with for creating a heavily distressed edge that looks very natural when done. Its not rocket science but I have taken a heavy oak mallet (shop made) and pounded on the long grain edge of a lot of woods. The fibers crush and begin to separate and splinter. After doing some pounding you simply grab the loose fibers and peel them away. some will tear long, some will break off. Keep repeating the process until you get an edge profile you think you like, and then begin to sand with an RO and something like 100 grit. Work up your grits as normal. In my opinion it can take an edged board to a distressed board in very short order.

Im not sure I would consider it a "live edge" (thats only one thing) but it results in a more natural edge than any "man made" natural edge Ive ever seen mainly because it peels the fibers back along the natural breaking points in the woods grain.

Ill see if I can find a couple images.

In the future, rather than sawing off the bark edge, just remove the bark with a relatively dull draw knife. Works quite well and you get a pretty decent live edge. Been doing this for a number of years quite successfully.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I do it a lot. I turn the bottom plate on my Bosch jig saw to 30 degrees and randomly saw along the edge about 1/2" to 1" from the edge. Just let the jig saw wander the way it wants to. Then, sand it with a ROS with coarse grit to get rid of the saw marks.

I was going to experiment this weekend using my jigsaw. I'm wondering if adding some color using a torch or stain might help the look.

Bob