Thread: Surgical chisel turned kerfing chisel. Love it!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Surgical chisel turned kerfing chisel. Love it!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI have used card scrapers to finish the kerf on half-blind dovetails; then I saw Derek Cohen's shop-made kerfing chisel and loved the idea. I had seen surgical chisels before (used for chiseling bones- ouch) and remembered they are rather thin, so I figured that was a good start. I went on eBay and bought a really good one 1.25" wide, with a hefty handle cast as part of the chisel. It is HEAVY! It's also thin as I had hoped, and stainless too!

I used a WorkSharp 2000 with 80 grit to get it to proper thickness. I am posting a bit soon, as it still needs finish sanding, but it worked beautiful. I took it down to 1/32" and stopped there to try it out. I hammered it into some end-grain pine and it made a perfect kerf. Heck, who needs a saw? You can almost just hammer the whole thing with this. (I kid- probably not a good idea.) Final sanding will thin it a bit more.

I still need to grind a bit off the business end to ensure it is flat. I will dress the face to 2000 grit or so as well; perhaps polish it. The pics with hardwood floors as backdrop are the before. The pic with maple table as background are after. The pic of the kerf is where I just hammered it into some wood, sans saw kerf, and it made a perfect kerf.

Regards from a dimly lit room that smells of metal shavings,
    Attached Images Attached Images