Thread: Strange (to me) wood. Can anyone identify?

Question Strange (to me) wood. Can anyone identify?

I'm making something for my grandson out of a block of mystery wood I bought at Woodcraft a few years ago. It was wax sealed and in the bargain bin outside. I can't figure out what species it is. The colors are rendered fairly acurately. It turns well and is about as hard (or soft) as purpleheart. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

possibly elm?

It looks a lot like what I have been told is a kind of mahogany.... Honduras mahogany

could be chinaberry, in the mahogany family I believe

I second Fred's description.....

These are always hard to be certain, but it looks a little like Cebil, aka Curupay. if you bought it at a WC about 2-3 years ago, they had a large shipment that ended up in most stores. I saw some in at least 5 stores. I bought some because it had an interesting end grain, and I was making end grain pendants at the time. It looks a little plain on the store shelf, but it's not too expensive. It is a nice turning wood, even in end grain orientation, and it is very nice looking finished. You can see some samples images here. DubDubDub.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/curupay.htm As you can see, it varies a lot from tree to tree, but I thought of Cebil because of the color, grain characteristics and the end grain shown in your samples. Please remember, my guess is worth exactly what you paid for it.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I vote for red elm

Thanks for the replies, you guys are terrific. I looked at hobbit house and you could all be right. Maybe, when it's done, I'll tell him it's red mahoganelm curuberry.