Thread: Dust collection that takes up horizontal space

Dust collection that takes up horizontal space

i am currently setting up a small shop In a single car garage ( 9ftx20ft). With the size of the shop space is extremely limited. I'd really like to get some decent dust collection but don't have the floor space. I do have a loft that has horizontal space (at its highest it's almost 5 feet and then tapers down to nothing over 9ft). All the dust collection units I've seen are taller than this. Are there any dust collection units that I could mount horizontally in this space?

Mounting the motor off to the side and driving the impeller with a belt and a couple of pulleys might be an option for you.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

You should remember that you're going to need to empty the collected dust out of a bag or a bin. How 'bout you buy a two-bag dust collector, remove the legs, and put the impeller part in the loft, pretty much sitting on the floor. The filter bag hangs down the wall of the shop, where it is easily accessed for emptying. The collection bag is typically three feet tall, so there's room below the bag for tools or a bench. The filter bag goes up to nearly touch the roof.

There are also variants of this style of collector with a canister filter instead of the bag filter. I think the canister is shorter than the bag filter, so you could mount the whole contraption higher in the air. http://www.rockler.com/jet-dust-coll...anister-filter Or if you want to do some modification, you could build a plywood adapter box that allows the canister to run horizontal.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 10-02-2014 at 8:03 PM.

Why not mount a cyclone THROUGH the floor of attic? Blower and main body in attic, with cone and bin in shop below.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Why not mount a cyclone THROUGH the floor off attic? Blower and main body in attic, with cone and bin in shop below.
    That's what I was thinking. Put the dust bin on the floor so it is easy to empty. Turn the cyclone filters horizontal in the loft, but know that you need to clean them periodically.

IIRC, the Felder RL160 is somewhere around 5' tall, but might be a bit too tall for your space. I have one - it's a good machine. And, getting it up there might be challenge too.

Why not just put a pipe on the raised cyclone, and drop the filter below ceiling level, so you get the clean air back in your shop?

Interesting....it's(horizontal DC) been on our to-do list here for awhile.As noted above,the collection bin is where a lot of the height issues come in.Google Aget Dustkop site.It'll show different arrangements for the motor/impeller/cyclone interface.This pkg can be kept pretty low profile.......it's the bin that we're wrestling with here.As a note,we have several systems,so the horz. unit won't be the main system.Good luck with your decision.

So this is a push through cyclone, kindof like a bagger, but with a cyclone instead?