Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Hickory casket completed pic's

Robby
    A rather unusual project, but well done. I just gotta ask - where is this unique conversation piece being stored ? I can only imagine the one-liners and obligatory jokes if this gentleman left it in his living room...
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    Nice work, Robby. I realize the customer ordered them, but the rope handles seem like they'll be very uncomfortable to hold when the casket is loaded. OTOH, it's clearly not the customer's problem, is it?

- Vaughn
    Vaughn McMillan Nice work, Robby. I realize the customer ordered them, but the rope handles seem like they'll be very uncomfortable to hold when the casket is loaded. OTOH, it's clearly not the customer's problem, is it?

- Vaughn

I too, immediately thought about the rope handles, and was thinking it would be much easier to hold if the rope was cut in the middle of the loop and each end of the cut fastened to the end of about a 1" x 8" long Dowel to give easier "Grip", yet keep the overall look the same.

Nice job though, Robby.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Nice work. I was thinking it will make a nice blanket chest until then..

I love Hickory....what a way to go! Good job on the casket!

Now that is something you do not make everyday. Very nice work and attention to all of the details.

When my Mom passed away she wanted a very simple pine box. Unfortunately her passing was rather sudden. While at the funeral I notice the workmanship on the casket. Afterwards I thought, I should have made that. It would have been the last thing I could have done for her and it would have been much nicer.

Looks great - good job! Until he's ready to use it, it should make a great coffee table!

Robby, What are the maximum dimensions a casket can be in order to fit into a vault?

Mike

Robby I know you probably have this covered but have you actually tried to carry it with, mmm how do I put this, dead weight? Would be a real drag if one of the joints popped while the pall bearers were lifting it up Just a thought, and by the way it looks great!

Thanks again everyone for the kind words. Just FYI I did use my Keller dovetail jig and it worked flawlessly. A really great tool.

Chris...

I used 3/4" maple apple ply for the bottom and dadoed it into the sides.

Pat...

He is going to be storing it in his home. Will use it as a blanket chest till it is needed.

Micheal...

As far as I can tell I am not aware of any requirments due to vault size. The client is a very small man so I was not concerned as the casket is relatively small too. If I were to do another and had a large and or tall client I would definetly research it more.

Jack...

I had a bunch of buddies come over and they carried me in it. I am 6'2" 275 pounds so it should be fine.

I was honored to build my dad's when he passed. It is a truly humbling experience. I am sure you felt the same.

Beautiful work. Nice attention to detail.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Hi Robby,

Very nice job on the casket.

Mother Earth News did an article on natural burrials and building your own casket. They have a forum on their website but no one has posted to it in some time.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery