Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a Little More Advice

Question Need a Little More Advice

Hey all,

I am still doing the Lathe dance, trying to get the best bang for the buck. I have decided with all the previous help you have given me to go for a full size lathe.

Looking at 2 different ones now. The Nova DVR XP and the Jet JWL 1642 EVS

Nova is on sale for $1899.00 at WoodCrafrt right now, No stand included. Swivel Headstock but No slide. 5 Year Warranty

Jet has a $300.00 rebate making it $2044.00 This includes the stand. Sliding HeadStock but no Swivel. 5 Year Warranty .

It looks like the Nova has no Reverse which I think I want.

Let me know what you all think about these 2 lathes. Also if any other suggestions on a different one in the price range would be appreicated.

Thanks!!!

Look into how much a stand is for the Nova? Looks to me like they are about the same price. Personally, owning a Jet 1642 2hp, I think that's the better deal. Sliding headstock is very useful for bowls and hollowing. I have not turned on a Nova with the swivel. I don't think you'll be unhappy with the Jet. I'm assuming that's the 120v model. If your funds allow, I would seriously contemplate the 2 hp 220v model. It may not seem like much, but if you core or want to turn bigger bowls, the extra power is a real asset. Lots of people really like the Nova also, so I don't think you'll be unhappy with that either. Just that you will have to bench mount it, make, or buy a stand.

Good luck in your decision.

At that price point, you might consider the Grizzly G0733. It's a solid performer; I only sold mine because I had a chance to get a PM 3520B that I couldn't pass up...

You will probably be happy with either.
    The Nova is 1.75 HP on 110/120 or 2 HP on 220/240
    The Jet EVS is 1.5 HP or the Jet EVS-2 is 2 HP (and about $300 more)

I'm sure the Nova does have reverse, even my 1624 and Comet2 does.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I consider the sliding headstock much more valuable an asset than the swiveling headstock. Someday you'll want to turn HFs. Turning over the bed is always preferable because of things like captive hollowing tools, a steadyrest and a vacuum system. My choice would be the 1642.

+1 for Wally's 1642........it would be nice to be able to like someones answer

Video comparing Jet 1642 with Grizzly G0733 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gtgKssFdE4

Well, I have had a sliding headstock for 16 or so years, and wouldn't be without it. The pivoting headstock won't do anything that the sliding headstock can't do, and it is far easier to slide the headstock than it is to pivot. Also, every time you pivot, you have to recenter the headstock to the tailstock. The speed range is much easier to control on the Jet than on the DVR. You can 'preset' maybe 6 speeds or so on the Nova, but if you want any other speeds, the control is a very slow push button ramp up/ramp down. Just not convenient or efficient enough for me. The bed on the Jet is more user friendly than the one on the Nova, if for no other reason than it sits up enough so that shavings fall through, rather than pile up, with no real way to get under to brush or push them out.

robo hippy

My vote is for the Jet for all of the reasons that Robo gives.

+1 on Wally and Robo's comments. They nailed it. I have the Jet 1642 1 1/2hp. I have not tried coring on it, but it has done everything I've asked of it so far (nearly 5 years). Granted I want to upgrade again, but that's life, and not a problem with the lathe.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The Nova XP does have reverse and does have 6 presets selected by a simple switch press other speeds up to the max (100 to 3000) takes milliseconds to reach.. As for the swiveling headstock. If you can get to the end of your lathe bed the sliding might be nice. However, if you have limited accessibility to the end of the ways (as I do) the sliding stock would be inconvenient and impossible to use if the head is moved to the end. The swiveling head is simple to use, does not need re-centering and makes access to the center of a bowl simple. After 4-5 years of use I have absolutely no problem recommending the Nova.

Thanks all, you are the best, you are really helping me decide on this. Kyle did say something that I am not to sure about, he said that a 220v will provide more power. I know it will Can someone chime in on that?

I have a 50a weld plug in the shop so I could run a 220v circuit to the other side of my shop (15') if a 220v would really have that much bang for the buck... After losing the rebate, a 220v would end up costing around $600.00 more.

The 220v does not have the $300.00 rebate from WoodCrafters. FWIW, I also get free shipping if I go with WoodCraft... another $125.00 or so in savings.

I have the DVR XP and already had a stand made for an old Craftsman lathe on wheels so wanted more lathe than the legs. I love the swivel and don't do enough spindle work to worry about re-centering, it is easy to swivel out, and the direct drive motor on the Nova you have to turn on to believe hoe smooth and powerful it is. If you have access to the 220 then all the more reason to go for the nova. My .02$ at least.

14. I have the 1642 evs 1.5hp. Yes, another 1/2 hp would be nice. I do a lot of coring on mine with the McNaughton and can stall the machine if I am not careful. I am sure I could stall the 2hp as well. Stalling is preferable to bending the tool when being too aggressive. My club has the nova and the swiveling headstock is not a real asset. The sliding headstock is a real plus, the reason that the PM, Robust and other high end lathes have it. At the price point the Jet is good bang for the buck.

I've had my DVR XP for 8 years now and I'm still as happy with it as the day I bought it. The headstock has detects when it is swiveled, so it's not hard to re - align and is quick to do. I would recommend building a stand so you can make it as stout as you want.

It's easy to clean shavings from under the bed if you put some spacers between the top of the stand and the bottom of the bed in the spots where the bed is bolted to the stand. I recommend 2 layers of mdf.

One thing I haven't heard anyone else talk about is that the DVR XP doesn't have any belts to change. This is huge for me as belt changes are a real pain in my opinion. For me that more than makes up for the ramp up/down on the Nova. With the presets it's not as bad as some make it out to be. Use the lathe for two weeks and you won't really even notice it.

That's my $.02.