Thread: Vertical Router Bits......

Vertical Router Bits......

I have discussed buy 2 new routers in the very near future. Still out to jury on the 3 HP model but I will be buying a 3 HP model for the Table. I have decided due to limitations of my shop that I will not build a large router table as previously planned. I have been waffling on the Bench Dog Pro Contractor table and I think that will be what I will get. I will be able to mount it on a small cabinet on wheels and all 3 HP routers will fit. Down size is that the hole for the bits is limited to 2 Inches which is larger than any I have used but I plan on using some larger bits on the new table.

Anyway, the reason for the post is due to size of the hole on this router table I won't be able to use a horiztontal panel raising bit and will have to use a vertical bit instead. Anyone use these vertical bits like this and some of the multi profile bits that are available? Are they safe to use on a large HP router?

Thanks,
    Corey

Corey, the vertical rasied panel router bits are designed for what you have in mind. The smaller dia. reduces the tip speed and lowers the torque required to work. The only downside to the vertical bits is that a tall fence is absolutly required to be safe.

Richard

Thank you Richard. That is what I wanted to know and the Benchdog has a tall fence option as well if I don't make one myself.

Corey

The only issue with the vertical bits is that you need to build a very tall fence and fashion a way to keep the material riding along and against the fence consistantly for the entire cut. Other than that, they will work as good as any other form of cutter for the given profile.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The only issue with the vertical bits is that you need to build a very tall fence and fashion a way to keep the material riding along and against the fence consistantly for the entire cut. Other than that, they will work as good as any other form of cutter for the given profile.
    Another limitation is that the vertical bits can't be used for arched panels.

Thanks guys, I did no that cannot be used for anykind of template or architectual patters. It sounds like maybe some kind of a vertical sled is needed for these kind of bits to keep them held against the fence.

Corey

Corey,
    We tested a vertical panel raising bit (in a 2 1/4 Hp Bosch router) and found it does a very good job if you take light cuts, as you should regardless of bit or power for a good finish.
    As mentioned, the tall fence is key to getting a smooth, wave-free cut. the good news is they are easy to make.
    I have a review of the vertical bit at the link below if that might be of help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...pnlbitrvu.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Corey - I have a DW 625 (3hp) and unfortunately Dewalt did not think about horizontal router bits when they made the base. So I have to use vertical bits. Overall I don't see them to be that much of an issue. In some respects they are safer due to the smaller diameter. I made a one-piece fence out of mdf that gets attached to my regular fence.

I would make sure the base can handle the horizonal bits so that you have the option of using both.

Mike

Thanks guys for the info, I appreciate it!

Corey