Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flattening heavy glue ups

flattening heavy glue ups

I've glued together the two halves of what will be a split top roubo workbench. Now flattening is required. They're heavy. Too heavy for me, working alone, to easily take anywhere to be thickness sanded. They're hard maple, planing isn't a great option because of the risk of tearout.

What I'm doing is using my belt sander for the task. It certainly doesn't seem like an obvious choice. It came to me to do it that way when I recalled having built the bench that is the cover story in issue #50 of Woodsmith magazine long ago. In that issue. The central slab is flattened in that manner.

Remarks? Pitfalls to be aware of?

Maybe I ought to make the effort to get them to a proper thickness sander to ensure uniformity between the two halves.

Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron View Post
    Maybe I ought to make the effort to get them to a proper thickness sander to ensure uniformity between the two halves.
    That would be my choice. Do you have access to a pickup truck and a helper? There are folks here with the skill to flatten using hand planes, I'm not among that group.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

YOu want the top side to be flat. I personally would not sweat an uneven bottom side.Shims to mate to base/frame.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

How about using a router sled? I watched a video on the thewoodwhisperer.com where he did just that. I did the same thing on a much smaller scale to flatten some cutting boards.

~mark

No pickup, I have a small utility trailer.

The router sled idea is good.

Calling my friends, the geriatric gang, makes a router sled the more attractive thought.

Mark at Wood Whisperer walks you right through it with an excellent video, and he is using a router and sled. First step, place and fix the rails so they are perfectly parallel, and the panel to be flattened has its highest point or corner just barely below the surface of the temporary rails.

And lo, when he is done, he proclaims the routed surface good to go, needing no further smoothing.

Video up on YouTube. Search and you will find.

The router sled always looked pretty cool to me. But - a lot of work to build, and a LOT of work to use for a large surface. I have concentrated on flat glue-ups instead.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

To save you some time, here's a link to the video that Mark and Gene mentioned http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtkBZHLJyD0
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

They're hard maple, planing isn't a great option because of the risk of tearout.
    Bwah?
    Softer stuff gives me more trouble than genuinely hard woods.

Roubo his own self did not have wide belt sanders, and managed.

Daunting, to be sure but so is traction after spraining your back wrestling with the slabs.

Router sleds will get you close, but you're still in for some finish planing.

Do you have a decent scrub plane for the job?

I made a counter height table for my wife out of hard maple and decided to use my 4" wide belt sander to flatten/thickness plane instead of my hand planes. I had so much fine saw dust I saved it in mason jars (several).

I believe it would be easier in the long run to use virtually any other method like listed above. One thing that is easy to screw up on a belt sander is to round over the ends. Anything that machine touches, it eats. Then your left with 300x more work in removing the marks that the belt left.

Even though the table came out nice, I regret putting my belt sander anywhere near that table.

Just my little contribution, good luck.

-David

I just finished my roubo a few months ago. My initial flattening was with a router sled (please don't tell the guys on the Neader side ). I finished it off later with hand planes. As Kent said, you don't have to worry about the underside too much.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Router sled here....

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    I just finished my roubo a few months ago. My initial flattening was with a router sled (please don't tell the guys on the Neader side ). I finished it off later with hand planes. As Kent said, you don't have to worry about the underside too much.
    The fact that you use power tools but fly the hand tool flag is a secret that's safe with me.

I don't have too many planes. A block, a small Lee Valley shoulder plane, a Record 05 and 07. Not a big choice.

I've asked my SIL to help carry it to the trailer to take it to the place with the thickness sander. Then back into the shop. I'll have them sand both sides while they're at it.

No pickup, I have a small utility trailer.

The router sled idea is good.

Calling my friends, the geriatric gang, makes a router sled the more attractive thought.
    My router sled for the table saw. It rides on the fence rails.

0905031424.jpg0905031456.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night