I am in the market for a drill press for both woodworking and metalworking. I'm not an expert and don't plan on putting out pieces one after another, but I've found that I use my current drill press constantly on one thing or another and I need more precision first and foremost (my current machine is terrible: second hand homemade, wobbles all over the place). I don't have any other precision machines (except a second hand Jet jointer), but I'm willing to put a decent amount into this drill press to get decent precision.

With that in mind I honed in on a Grizzly G7943 benchtop which had some good overall reviews and was in the price range I was thinking. But then I over-research and find it may have some runout issues and the depth-stop is not great. Those 2 issues seem to go against my precision pet-peeve, although I am sure it's outstanding compared to what I have.

I also researched more and found I don't know all the advantages to things like floor standing vs. bench (I have the space for a floor but what's it get me for the extra $$: will it help me in the future even though it doesn't seem I need it now?), advantages/disadvantages of a spindle type press, etc. Even though the Grizzly seems like it would be a great machine for me today, would spending an extra 100/200/300 (probably don't want to go over 600 at this point) be worth it and if so, what's that machine?

I know there are a lot of threads like this and I attempted to search and find answers, but figured times change, opinions change, etc. Bottom-line: looking for recommendations on best value drill press suitable for wood/metal in the $325-$600 range where precision is my personality type (I don't need a $600 press right now, but I also don't want to invest in a $400 machine now and then want/need a better press when I take my skills/work to the next level).

Thanks in advance,
Dave