Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heating a Garage Woodshop

Over the past few years I have heated a couple double garages I turned into shops with King Model KBP electric unit heaters hung from the ceiling in the corner of the shop. They work well in heated insulated garage in the Pacific Northwest and you can move jumpers to select alternate heat outputs. I used 30 amp 220 volt circuits and run them at full power but that would not be necessary. They just recover faster in the winter when operating at full power. I also purchased the in-line King thermostats from Lowes or Home Depot, again not sure which but think Lowes so I could wire in a remote thermostat. You can select a KBP model that comes prewired for a remote thermostat if you want or you can buy a model that comes with a hardwired thermostat and remove it so you can then wire in the remote thermostat. I rewired mine but recommend buying a prewired unit to preserve the warranty and avoid any wiring confusion. The reason I bought ones with built in thermostat is that I found good buys on them at Lowes or was it Home Depot and then again on Amazon.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I've got a Modine Hot Dawg in my two care garage. I think it's the 45K BTU unit. It works fine here in southern MN.
    I have a Hot Dawg too. It mounts right near the ceiling, an inch below I think. It works very well in northern IL. Not quite as bad as MN probably, but still pretty cold. It can take the garage up to 80 degrees if desired.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Petit View Post
    Is there any worry of all the dust being created, that may cause the heater to create a fire or dust explosion? I am thinking of electric or gas, and was just curious. Thanks.
    No. I can't imagine generating that much dust. My DC, vac and overhead filter do a good job at dust removal.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Reznor 45k btu gas near ceiling mount gas heater.
    NOW you tell me...