Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any reviews of Oneida's new resin V Series cyclones?

Dan, I think you are right. I may have to just purchase the reducer from Oneida. I'll try to post some pictures of the installation once I make some progress.

Jack, the filter documentation with my system says down to 0.3 microns at 97% (if I recall correctly). I assume that is for a properly seasoned filter.

Cam

My only question is.......Why are they not much less expensive than the steel ones?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    My only question is.......Why are they not much less expensive than the steel ones?

Excellent question. I think they may have answered it by jacking up the price of the SDGs--seemslike they were a lot closer together when I started looking at this a couple of months ago. I'd love to have a 3HP SDG but...

3HP Super Dust Gorilla: $1865 with wall mount and 35 gal bin, plus $395 shipping = $2260
    3HP V3000: $1613 with wall mount and 35 gal bin, plus $250 shipping = $1863
    3.5 HP Penn State Tempest S: $1395 with wall mount and 35 gallon bin, plus $150 shipping(Quoted to me by PSI) = $1545

I love buying American when I can, but if you look at the fan curves of these three, the 3.5HP Tempest S is a lot of cyclone for the money.

The most DC per dollar is the 2.5 HP Tempest S ($995 with wall mount and 35 gal bin plus shipping). If you look at the performance graph in the 2013 wood magazine comparison, the 2.5HP Tempest S with a 14" impeller outperforms the (still steel at the time) V3000. At $995 plus shipping (with wall bracket and 35 gal bin), I've got to admit I've given it a lot of consideration. It's the most dust collector you can buy for under a grand.

There are downsides Penn State, of course, just like there are downsides to every manufacturer or vendor. That said, the 5-year warranty on the Tempest S vs 1 year on the V3000 and 2 year on the SDG is one more leg up for PSI.

But if I had piles of money I needed to spend, I'd buy an Oneida.

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

They switched from metal to resin as I was working through my order with them (hence the origial post). The price did not go up during that time (I worked with them for about 2 weeks) and they included the remote switch for free. I was very concerned, not being an early adopter but things seem to be good so far. If I can find the correct reducer that will fit on the 7" inlet. Yesterday, I asked Oneida if their reducer will fit on the new resin and no response yet.

Interesting when I was talking with the sales associate at Oneida, I was leaning towards the 3HP SDG but once I sent them my shop's floor plan (with tools), they highly recommended I go with the V-3000. I felt pretty confident in the decision but still a few days out before an actual test.

Approximately how large is your shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Handyside View Post
    They switched from metal to resin as I was working through my order with them (hence the origial post). The price did not go up during that time (I worked with them for about 2 weeks) and they included the remote switch for free. I was very concerned, not being an early adopter but things seem to be good so far. If I can find the correct reducer that will fit on the 7" inlet. Yesterday, I asked Oneida if their reducer will fit on the new resin and no response yet.

Interesting when I was talking with the sales associate at Oneida, I was leaning towards the 3HP SDG but once I sent them my shop's floor plan (with tools), they highly recommended I go with the V-3000. I felt pretty confident in the decision but still a few days out before an actual test.

David, it's 24'x24' with a 6'x12' bump out room I call the "mechanical room" where I have the compressor and DC. Most of the stationary tools are on the shared wall with the bump out so I hope to keep the duct runs to a minimum. I'll try to post some pics...

Blog Entries
    From Oneida: "Filter 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3–0.5 microns (µm) in size". In other words, excellent filtration.

Frank

Oneida seems to have the smallest sf. of filter area when comparing to similar dust collectors from other mfg's. I asked them about this and their comment was something to the effect of "we are into quality of filtered air, not quantity". My experience has been more filter area= better performance.

OH NO!!!! I hear the "Which is better" question coming..... "Resin or PTEG??"

Personally, after all the banter about plastic being inferior to steel over the years, I find this development very amusing. I'm still super thrilled with my ClearVue, but it is nice to see that there are other options coming to the market. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.