Thread: Can someone tell me?

Can someone tell me?

what hackberry looks like or if its worth gettin i have been offered 2 large logs but if its more trouble than its worth i will decline. what little i have found out is that its a pain to dry, need to cut and dry almost at the same time figurtivly speaking or it will stain. so any help is appreciated wouldlike to see a pic if possible thanks.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

I did a quick google search and found this...nothing overly complete:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...nd_drying.html

The issue with lighter colored wood is when you cut...not how you cut it. If you cut the logs this time of year you asking for trouble....especially if you cut it outside(controlled enviroment is diffrent). The humidty reeks havoc on the surface of the boards causing the greyish color you often see on maple, birch and the like. It is often sold as 'ghost' maple or birch....or whatever else it may be. Sometimes this grey can be surfaced out or bleached out(the grey is also mistaken for hartwood on regualr basis).

In short: the lumber can be used.....though it is a bit fussy. I had a few logs cut up once and they had some really nice grain and figure. never worked with it so I can not comment in that regards.

My thoughts on hackbery. Paint it like pine. Lol

Beautiful zigzag grain on a white to light cream background if sawn in the winter and given a good breeze in the stack. If you saw it in the summer you get sticker stain and/or surface mold and staining almost immediately. Best to saw on a cold dry day.