Thread: New Member/ Turner

New Member/ Turner

ive been a lurker for a while and a turner for several years, so I thought it was time to join.

being from Canada, and that I also rebuild old machinery, my lathes have been older Canadian made units

I started with an old henry power tools(craftmaster) owned by my fil, pretty junky little lathe with a hinged motor and vice grip on the tailstock, no morse tapers etc etc

then I graduated to a beaver 3400, probably Canada's most popular lathe at one time. By the time I finished rebuilding 3 into one, I had the ultimate 3400; 8 speed with reverse(electrical). the 8 speed was built using a 2 speed jackshaft and the original 4 speed. I found spindles with morse tapers from different ages of the 3400

I just recently located another model from craftmaster, some call it the boat tail model and im still working on a multiple speed jackshaft for it

001.JPG
    the two henry's

007.JPG
    the big henry and one of my beavers

DSC00404.JPGDSC00403.JPG
    the beaver 3400 I used for several years

001 (3).JPG002 (2).JPG003.jpg

im still working on the now twelve speed belt drive, the problem is that the henry's 4 speed is a very close ratio.
    the two electrical boxes contain the on/off and forward/reverse switches

Welcome to the forum.
    Betcha won't ever wear out those lathes. Great collection.
    Looking forward to seeing your work.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

thx bill, the beaver is a nice machine especially by the time I finished building it. the 4 four speed was very limiting so I added the jackshaft with Rockwell hangers and made the motor reversible. but the 7/8 headstock with mt2 and mt1 in the tailstock were also limiting, the 3/4" outboard thread was almost useless

then the bigger craftmaster turned up(its quite rare) I jumped on it. it has more common standard 1" thread inboard and outboard and mt2 in head and tailstocks

it is a project in progress at this point, gotta get the speed control perfected, I could go with a vfd and 3 phase but I prefer stuff I can fix!!

looks like you have enough to start giving classes.....how much space do you have in shop/garage?......enjoy taking things outside while you can....welcome and enjoy

classes nah!!!!

im a pro carpenter/cabinet maker/trim guy who'se hobbies are woodworking, turning and reviving old machinery

in addition to the beaver/craftmaster eyecandy, I have ashop full of 1940's and 50's machinery, mostly Canadian made beaver and craftmaster, plus some delta, Rockwell and parks

many people l,ook down on the Canadian stuff after ww2, but craftmaster(henry tools) built and supplied millions of bench vices to the allied forces and the callander foundcry aka beaver power tools, supplied tank replacement parts

so after the war, they had nothing to do, so they both created power woodworking tools, I have some beautiful examples of those creations, both beaver and craftmaster from tablesaws to scrollsaws

if here's any interest i'll post pic of the rest of the beaver herd, from 8 inch tablesaws to serious drill presses and a few other manufacturers too but all from the 40's and 50's
    Last edited by steve morris6; 10-09-2014 at 3:37 PM.