Thread: Delta 36-730 Cabinet saw

Delta 36-730 Cabinet saw

Has anybody tried or know anything about these tables saws? They say "DELTA<SUP>®</SUP> 10" CABINET SAWS WITH 50" FENCES OFFER INDUSTRIAL QUALITY AT AFFORDABLE PRICES"

I know they are made in China, any input? or thoughts? still have not purchased a new saw yet, but hopefully soon.

Thanks Dave

In case you have not seen one in person here are some photos of one that may help you decide.

I made the same decision about 2 months ago. I chose the Unisaw, because it is made in the USA (except for the Brazilian motor), I wanted the Unifence, and I felt more comfortable with a proven product. I did have a harder time deciding to not go with the Powermatic 66. It came down to the Unifence and the color of the rest of my tools. (I really like Delta support) I just hope the Dewalt buyout does not have any negative effect on that. They are all so close in price, and you will have this saw for such a long time, you really ought to get the one you want and don't fret the cost difference. Decide on which saw you want, then wait and save your pennies for a while if you have to, that is what I did. I would have had regrets if I had of done it differently, perhaps you might not.

There does seem to be some nice points about this saw. It's got a nice metal motor cover instead of the cheap-o plastic one. Same thing with the metal dust collection port thats built in. (this would be a negative if you don't have a dust collector). The hand wheels seem nicer than the Unisaw's too. I am not sure I like the throat plate. Here are some photos I took while shopping. If you want the original higher resolution ones just email me and I will send them. This saw was mis-labeled but the price was correct. If I were interested in this saw I would be interested in the arbor runout, the flatness of the table, the quality of the bearings and how I liked the fence. I bet Delta would do everything to make the first 3 right if they were off. The like/dislike of the fence would be up to you.

Sorry about so many pictures. I am going to slow down! I promise!!

Frankie

Attached Images Attached Images

Rest of the photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Frankie
    where did you get the info on the dewalt buy out of Delta?
    thanks

Mike

I do not have any details but when you call the 800 number for Delta tools they mention both Delta and Dewalt and I think they may reference talking to Dewalt about ordering parts for your Delta equipment.

Hope this helps

Dave

Mike, I read it in the front of one of my magazines recently. Perhaps a month or two ago. It has been mentioned on some other forums also. One of the big "things" recently was the consolidation of thier parts departments. I called Delta about a couple of minor issues with my Unisaw and the DJ-20. Everything was in stock and they were as friendly and helpfull as always. I think they said something about Dewalt on their automated answering of the tech line. One rumor is that they will be doing away with some of the low end Delta stuff. Delta cordless drills, etc. Thats rumor only, but it does make sense. I think Delta will be the flagship line. There have been several company consolidations. Milwaukee was bought out too! I cant remember by whom, perhaps the parent company of Ryobi and/or Bosch.

Frankie

Frankie, Who says you have to slow down? Keep it going, we like lots and lots of pictures.<O</O

Effie

I just bought a uni #36-831A that looks just like the saw in the picture except it has the plastic motor cover....the funny thing is the sticker on the crate had a diff. number. How do I tell which saw this is????

Delta buyout.

<!--StartFragment -->I hope this is allowed. I looked thru the FAQ and saw no reference to not allowing a link to be posted. This is about the buyout 1 year ago.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ez...oolpreview.cfm

Frankie

Joe, The throat plate on the Unisaw is different, it is rounded on the ends and goes all the way around the blade. On this saw the throat plate is squared on the ends and does not go all the way around the blade. Also, look on the rear of the saw up near the edge of the table, there is the sticker with the saw's serial number. On that sticker is the saws model number also.

Frankie

Thanks for your input i'll check it out tonight when I get home...I know the throte plate on mine is rounded....thanks again!!

The pictures above appear to be the import, but the signs are improperly labeled as a "UniSaw". The import is not branded as such. I have seen several posts "here and there" on the import and they were positive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...