Thread: Different Atkins saw

Different Atkins saw

I was looking for info on this saw and found plenty on Disston and very little on Atkins. It has teeth like a pruning saw. I am wondering if it was meant for that. It has no etch, looks like it was cleaned up at one time, the blade is pitted but not bad. It needs minor cleaning and oiling right now. I bought a lot of tools off this guy over the years and he had a sale again yesterday, I saw it hanging in his shop and offered $10 for it, I have a jones for this style Atkins handle. The teeth are fairly small, like 10 per inch, but with the big gullets I imagine it would rip pretty fast. Any info appreciated.

Atkins back.jpgAtkins front.jpgAtkins teeth.jpgAtkins handle.jpg
    Last edited by Moses Yoder; 10-12-2014 at 5:41 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    There have been many experimental and production saw filing patterns.

Not sure if that is one I have seen in one of the old books on saws.

These look similar.

Picture 3.jpgPicture 1.jpg

My recollection is there is a pattern similar to this that was patented with the benefit of cutting in both directions. I think it was more of a W filing pattern.

The Atkins booklet may have come from here:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/z_catalog...ogsManuals.asp

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

go here:
    http://www.mvr1.com/atkinssaws2.html

on reproduced catalog pages 12&13 there is an "Improved Universal" saw with a tooth pattern like yours. See also the "Triple Duty" saw.

Blog Entries
    Great find Joe, you nailed the saw right on the tooth line.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Great stuff, thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)