Thread: glazed cabinet door questions

glazed cabinet door questions

(pasted from http://www.hemenwaycabinets.com/doorfinishes.html)

I'm starting the research phase of making my kitchen cabinet fronts (the boxes and drawers are already in).
    I like the look of these doors. I think I am going to try to make a sample.

Does this wood look like Maple with a dye? If so that was probably sprayed since maple has blotching issues.
    Is that glazing sprayed or applied by hand and wiped off?

Any other tips on getting this kind of look?

Just looks like pigment stain applied in a DIY project. That's the easiest way to get all those different colors. Maple is a good guess.

That would be a sprayed NGR dye stain sealed with either a conversion varnish or vinyl sealer (or even a 2k urethane) then a dark glaze is applied. There are as many ways to apply glaze as there are people doing it. Most custom cabinet shops would probably be using a powder off glaze these days but there are still a few doing the old school brush glazes. After glazing a top coat of conversion varnish or 2k urethane is applied at the required sheen. This can be easily done with lacquer or even shellac but it won't be nearly as durable as a catalyzed finish especially in high moisture exposure areas.

When looking in on this topic I imagined from the title it was going to be about cabinet doors with glass.