Thread: LEIGH D1600 dovetail jig, opinions?

LEIGH D1600 dovetail jig, opinions?

Have an opportunity to buy a used LEIGH D1600 DT jig with bits and a vacuum attachment..I learned that this 16" model was discontinued several years ago and then closed out at retail ....I have much respect for the LEIGH company as well as its dovetail jigs..Although generally expensive, I consider them the top DT jig available..However, this is an older model in an odd size of 16"..Should I walk away? What do you guys think is a fair price for a used unit of that model? Your opinion will help decide to pursue or not..Thanks in advance, Jerry
    Jerry

Will you be likely to dovetail sides more than 16" wide? If so, does the Leigh allow for shifting the workpiece? I've worked with a PC 4200 series that is only 12" and i never got close to doing anything that wide, but it could have been done by mounting the templates to 2x stock. I set out to get a 24" model when i started looking, glad i didn't--the footprint would have been huge in my shop. Much as i like the thought and flexibility of the Incra positioner i use now, in some ways it isn't as easy as the PC version.

Ultimately--the difference between 16" and 24" is table space unless you'll routinely work with stock wider than 16". Just my thought.

earl

I have the D1600 and finally found the dust collection attachment. It does everything I want to do with it.
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

I think my first DT jig was a 12"..width never an issue..Have a Keller now.. Very easy to set up /use...Im just concerned that it is an older, discontinued model...usually, there is a reason for that...LEIGH a great company with great jigs IMHO. Want to be sure Im not buying an absolete item w flaws ordefects...LMK your opinions..Thanks
    Jerry

One way to look at it is about your intended use in the future (wider than 16") but there is another way to look at it. Used tools generally keep their value so unless you pay way too much, you can always sell it for about what you paid. The benefit is you learn what you like and don't like as well as gaining skills for essentially zero out of pocket expense.

Blog Entries
    Hi Jerry,

Leigh D4 owner here.

If it were me I'd consider it strongly mainly because it's by Leigh. You might check w Leigh to see if they are still maintaining parts for it, They probably are.

Only thing I think I would add is that I see used Leigh D4 and D4R jigs come up for sale here on the creek pretty routinely. I think some people change over to cutting their dovetails by hand and at some point sell their dovetail jig.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Specifically, I can buy this DT set w accessories for about $350...It includes the D1600 jig, and the AC4R accessory kit (8 bits and vacuum attachment)...Not sure I need 8 bits but...Is this a fair deal or should I walk? LMK your advice...Pondering...Thanks
    Jerry

Agree its worth considering simply because it is a LEIGH....Great company and products
    Jerry

I don't know much about the 1600, but $350 sounds a bit steep. With some diligence and patience, you can on CL or ebay D series, and add the vacuum attachment and bits you need for less than that. That way, you can keep up with any enhancements Leigh makes (unlike the 1600, they seem committed to the D series).

I agree that price sounds high. Lee Valley still has the jig listed on their website even though its no longer available - it was priced at $229.
    I got the 16" Superjig, which is pretty close to the 1600 in features, on craigslist for $250 with a couple bits.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Good advice...you are confirming what I was thinking that that price was a bit high...hard to evaluate an item no longer marketed..Hmmmm..I will take it slow and look at all the options...very helpful...I'll continue to check in..
    Jerry