Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use for ruined table saw blade

Use for ruined table saw blade

Hi,

I have a ruined 10" table saw blade that got that way cause of my stupidity with my SawStop.

I hate to just throw out a Forrest WW II blade.

The professional sharpener says it is toast.

Any ideas for another use?

I usually set off the SawStop about every year. this is the first time the blade can't be salvaged.

Thanks, David

I some times see saw blades on a drum kit for a cymbal type affair. But they are usually 7 1/4". Perhaps frame them on your wall as a reminder.

Some knife makers forge them into knives, too.

There's always the traditional shop clock...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They don't take up much room. I've saved them to use where there is reason to believe rough stock might have nails or
    for rough cutting good but dirty or painted wood.

Blog Entries
    I put mine and the cartridge on the wall in the shop as a reminder ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    They don't take up much room. I've saved them to use where there is reason to believe rough stock might have nails or for
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    rough cutting good but dirty or painted wood.
    If the sharpener says its toast, it is for safety reasons, don't run that blade
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-14-2014 at 5:10 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

See if Carbide Processors wants it.
    They mentioned on their web site or newsletter they take old carbide.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Date it. Hang it on the wall. Collect the whole set.

Some people mount fish, others mount deer heads...............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Hi,

I usually set off the SawStop about every year. this is the first time the blade can't be salvaged.

Thanks, David
    Whats causing the break to go off? Is this skin contact or something else?

Couple of times it was when I put a Sears plywood blade on it--100 or so teeth, and now that I think about it, I just assumed the spacing b/t the blade and the brake would be the same. It must no have been. SawStop sent me a brake the second time it happened, I sent the activated brake to them for analysis. I haven't heard anything. They have been very good whenever I have called.

Then, a couple of times, my JessEm miter fence has nicked the blade. Everything works as advertised.

None of the activations was for a finger, etc. All could have been averted if I had been more aware of everything.

I keep a spare cartridge in the shop.

I took one of my clocks off the wall......don't want to be reminded what time it is all the time.

Knife blades sound interesting. You need some kind of special hack saw blade, right? I can see where my reciprocating saw metal blade would not hold up to that?

Probalbly mounting straight in front of the table saw as a reminder is the best use.

Hang it over your saw as a reminder of the danger.

I do recall, from another era, an article from Fine Woodworking describing the method of making custom shaper knives for reproducing historic moldings, cut from circle-saw blades. If it's feasible or not I can't say but there you have it, from Fine woodworking no less. Once the composition of the metal used throughout these blades was known then the next step could be figured out.

14. Ok, my thought(s). Throw it away and chalk it up to a life, learning experience.

I mounted mine with the embedded cartridge on the wall right next to my SawStop. It makes me remember every time that I am near the saw how I made a stupid mistake and to always be aware.

I caught the corner of my Incra aluminum miter gauge.