Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on the LV carving tool special?

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Sears chisels used to be made in Holland from .50% carbon steel. They should have been ashamed of themselves marketing such junk. Especially the dutch for agreeing to do the work.

Sorry.

Nooitgedagt didn't survive though, despite these tactics.

China has a whole set of high carbon tool steels. They've got a different naming convention, but they are probably decent. Anything that I've gotten from china that has a spec of hardness has seemed very similar to any other modern tool that I've gotten. you wouldn't mistake most of the steels for a dry and keen vintage steel, but they are perfectly fine. Woodcraft had a set of chisels they've discontinued now, they had bubinga handles and the steel was similar to and at least as good as narex chisels.

As said,with LV standing behind their offerings,you are safe.

The only machine that International Harvester won't stand behind is their manure spreader!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Baker View Post
    I took a look at the detailed pic, and they look like they would need some serious work to be of any use, as the bevels look to be wayyyy to steep, and they are milled out of steel that looks too thick as well. If you wanted to do some serious work on a belt grinder then they may turn out alright, but they would take work to get running, and time is money so....

http://www.leevalley.com/US/shopping...s.aspx?p=72301

Alls I can say is YIKES!. That's some brutish looking carving chisels.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!