Thread: Great Homemade Base For Dremel Routing...

Great Homemade Base For Dremel Routing...

I've been looking for a good, small, inexpensive base to use for inlays that are close to obstructions. This base looks to be a great way to custom make your own base and it's height adjustable as well. It's probably not as precise as others, but I can see that if set properly, depth accuracy shouldn't be a problem. Here's the link...
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Inex...er-Attachment/
    Tell me what you think, as I have no experience with Dremels and would love to hear the why's and why nots.

I think it is pretty brilliant, but I would have left the ridges on the PVC to make it easier to grip.

If I were making one, I'd use my CNC router to cut a recess in the base for the PVC, for a stronger glue joint.

I'd also increase the diameter of the hole for the bit, just in case the assembly isn't super concentric with the bit. You wouldn't want the bit to rub on the base.

Do you think you can see in to where the bit is cutting?

And where does the sawdust go?

If you removed, say, 90 degrees of the acrylic circle, you might fix both concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Do you think you can see in to where the bit is cutting?

And where does the sawdust go?
    While the project seems creative, I suspect that these two questions point to the flaw in the design. I can't see the sawdust going anywhere but to block your view of what you're trying to cut.

Agreed...but with a little creative alteration,those concerns could be addressed. The basic idea is pretty good, cheap and workable.

Just saw this one. Just the pic though. Anyone know more about this base? Its nice and small.

Here is my super cheap one I made to do some inlays in a guitar.

Save yourself some headache and buy this http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...uter_Base.html unless it's just a one off project, this thing will pay off in no time, as it is so easy to control. also to help clear dust, put a flap of tape around your bit to act as a mini fan.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Is this stewmac base a plunge base?