Thread: Powermatic table insert doesn't fit

Powermatic table insert doesn't fit

Has anyone had this problem: After a few years, all of a sudden, the table insert for my Powermatic 66 table saw no longer fits. It is too snug to slip in. I bought a new one from Amazon and I have the same problem with it. It doesn't fit.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Sorry, no. Hard to imagine how that could happen. The one that came with my saw seemed to be some kind of pot metal, which can expand over time. A minute with a belt sander would fix if if that were the case. I haven't tried the original for many years as I use homemade zero clearance inserts almost exclusively.

Have you cleaned the area it fits into? Maybe there is some goop built up.

Wayne

Yes it happened to me and I finally got frustrated and took some 80 grit and made short work of making it fit again. I bought the saw in '99 and have been using my own shop made inserts but when I need angled cuts I pull out the stock one. Guess the cast iron may have swollen?

I have not seen a Powermatic inset, but looking at the insert on my saw, if it was dished across its width the edge of the insert casting could be forced out wider. I have just beat it back flat when it gets bent out of shape. My saw is craftsmen. The same condition might apply.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss