Thread: Powermatic 2700 Shaper: Opinions?

Powermatic 2700 Shaper: Opinions?

I am getting close to purchasing a PM 2700 Shaper. I am interested to hear opinions or experience anyone may have with this relatively newly released machine from Powermatic. There are a few dealers offering 10% off on PM through 10/27 so this may be the time to buy.

Thanks, Glenn

Looks very similar to a #26 / #27 under the hood, but with better drive system. So that puts it at or near the top of the "lightweight production shaper" segment. It doesn't compare to an industrial shaper, but would do a good job in a low production environment or home shop. The fence looks pretty nice. I prefer designs like this that let you adjust the faces independently while the assembly is locked to the table. The table is a nice size as well. There is a lot to like, but I would still take a used SCMI T110 over it.
    JR

My sentiments mirror J.R's. Could be a serous contender depending on your requirements. I was actually saving for one, had looked at it quite closely at a local vendor, found a minimax shaper locally I could not pass up, went on to add a second Italian shaper to the home shop similar to an scmi T-110. On the 2700 the fence is quite good, the digital readout is a great feature for repeatable set ups, table is large and robust. My only reservation is the quill assembly is very similar to the old PM27, and it all hangs off the frame on a relatively slim margin of metal. The italian shapers use a sort of diaphragm approach similar to a truck axel, large bearing that support a quill which comes up through a bell sort of thing bolted firmly to the table. very stout, little deflection. This matters at the larger end of production shaping. That said I've done some pretty heavy work on a PM 27, so its not the worst you could do, and for the features the 2700 price is pretty fair.

Glenn, I owned one for a couple years. It was a great machine. I'm a hobbyist, but I did do quite a few moldings with it and a lot of raised panel doors with it. I loved the fence, it was top notch and adjusted very nicely. The mobility kit is also a very nice feature. IMO its a very nice shaper for the money.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Gentlemen,

I appreciate your input. Looks like the PM 2700 will satisfy my future needs, but if a European shaper presents itself I may end up buying one of those. Now I just need to complete the new shop. Foundation is completed now we are framing. Trying the beat the worst of the Pacific NW winter weather.

Thanks, Glenn