Thread: Jointer Planes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Jointer Planes

I have been thinking about a Jointer plane for some time now. I have taken my time on buying this plane because I plan to buy a quality plane. I believe this is a tool that may benefit from more in terms of manufacturing precision and features. I have some experience now with BU/LA, older Stanley and wood planes and find that I like each type in certain situations. My go to planes are the Veritas BU models. I have had a LA Jack and Standard LA Block for quite a few years now. Recently I purchased a BUS and like it maybe even more than the other two. I have ventured off into the BD planes recently having acquired Stanley #3, #4, #5, #6 planes. I like these planes for rougher work or work that may require the tool being used for longer periods of time. The Stanley planes are a little lighter, especially since I bought mostly corrugated bottoms.

My preference for the BU planes has to do with three main features that I have found beneficial or preferable. I like the low center of gravity and weight of these planes, particularly for tougher woods or grain patterns. I prefer the Veritas blade adjustment system used on all the BU models. I like the screws that hold the blade roughly in place, making it easier to return a freshly sharpened blade or substitute a different blade. I like the simplicity of the mouth adjustment system on these planes, although it may not be necessary for rougher work. I appreciate the accuracy with which these planes are manufactured and the durability of the materials used.

Of course there are BD Veritas planes that incorporate some of the same features used in the BU planes. I was stuck between the Veritas Fore plane and the Veritas Jointer plane for a while. I finally decided to buy a Stanley #6 instead of a Veritas Fore plane and use the extra money for an actual Jointer plane later on. I imagine it sounds like the decision is made and I should just buy the Veritas BU Jointer already.

Then LV had to throw the new custom planes into the mix. My first impression was that the Custom jointer was a little pricey and too heavy at 8lbs 9ozs vs 7lbs 8ozs for the BU. Lately I have been noticing features on the newer planes that may incorporate some of the benefits I find for BU planes into a BD plane. Specifically, the custom plane appears to be designed with a shorter frog and a blade that resembles a BU or Japanese plane balde. It appears that the weight distribution of the new custom planes is oriented more like a BU plane. I also find it interesting that the custom planes offer interchangeable frogs for just a little more than buying multiple blades for a BU plane.

So do I wait for Derek to review the new plane? I'm sure I can hobble along with my current planes until then. I am wondering if others see the similarities between the LV BU and custom planes I do? Should we be surprised that LV has chosen to follow a successful theme? So now we can swap out frogs and or blades to "customize" our planes performance, cool, and smart marketing I'm thinking.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 10-20-2014 at 12:29 PM.