Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge Sander - What Grit?? What abrasive? Where?

Edge Sander - What Grit?? What abrasive? Where?

I have a 6" x 89" Jet oscillating edge sander on order and would like to purchase some spare belts in advance.

The question is, what is the most used grit for this type of machine? Some thing for general use on fairly small hardwood projects that doesn't burn and clog all the time.

Also, what is the preferred type of abrasive and is there any source for these that is better than the other?

Thanks,
    JimE

you'll use 100 more than any other.
    great tool!

I use 120 for everything, if you go much finer, you will burn your end grains too easily.

Agreed, 100-120 is the sweet spot between a reasonable finish and not burning.

Supergrit has 6X89-120 belts on sale now for $7 each http://www.supergrit.com/products/pr...minumoxide.asp

Mike

What type of abrasive works the best? Just regular aluminum oxide?

Mike - Do you have this unit??
    Last edited by Jim Eller; 10-20-2014 at 2:26 PM.

Aluminum Oxide is a good all around woodworking abrasive, reasonably priced and good longevity. Open coat is best on belt and drum sanders as it clogs a lot less than closed coat which reduces the possibility of burning.

Mike

I have the same sander. I use mostly 120 grit. I get it from Industrial Abrasive.

I use 80 for fast stock removal and 120 for finer finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    What type of abrasive works the best? Just regular aluminum oxide?

Mike - Do you have this unit??
    AO is fine
    I've had one forever though I upgraded to an oscillator a while back.

Blog Entries
    Same machine. Sure wish it went slower ;-). I keep more 60, 80 and 100 than others due to the high speed but, my belts hang right nearby and I have them all the way to 400. As grits get finer (above 220) or wood choices become more burn prone (cherry, hard maple, some mahogany's) the machine becomes more of a shaping device than a smoothing device. I really enjoy the machine and would be hard pressed to get along without it. Klingspor has sales occasionally but, even at the regular price their abrasives give me so much life they seem appropriately priced. Table mechanism could be more refined for the price. I have an add-on table with an adjustable fence for sanding awkward sized pieces. It goes on and off easily with the supplied t-nuts but, mostly stays on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-21-2014 at 8:21 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I too would say 100 & 120. I ordered my belts from Woodworkers supply.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Same machine. Sure wish it went slower ;-). I keep more 60, 80 and 100 than others due to the high speed but, my belts hang right nearby and I have them all the way to 400. As grits get finer (above 220) or wood choices become more burn prone (cherry, hard maple, some mahogany's) the machine becomes more of a shaping device than a smoothing device. I really enjoy the machine and would be hard pressed to get along without it.
    My machine is 3-phase and I run it with a VFD which gives me the option to slow it down :-)

Another vote for 120. I have mine made by SIA via one of their distributors: Al oxide on paper. I have a dual speed sander and we run on low speed, though I'm not sure exactly what those speeds are...
    JR

Thanks y'all.

It looks like 100-120 grit is where to start.

Of those owning the Jet, are there any real negatives on the machine???? I can still cancel :-)

My main concern is the way it oscillates. I hope it's built to last.

Is there any way to get these things to a reduced speed?? For the life of me, I can't believe why EVERY sander, regardless of size doesn't have a variable speed.

JimE
    JimE

I was really disappointed with the grind on the table. It is pretty rough. It doesn't hurt anything but not near as nice as my Grizzly stuff. You need a third hand to raise and lower the table but I made a hand wheel for that.