Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Bench Chisels

Short Bench Chisels

I'm looking to invest in a decent set of chisels. I looked @ the LN sockets but the length of 9" is a bit tipsy or least it is in a different brand. I can work a metal working chisel with ease but the extra length in a wood chisel is tough. Any suggestions? The reason I'm looking is for removing waste in dove tails.

Buy a couple of dark looking vintage chisels (the 50 shiny chrome vanadium stuff could be iffy at best, and bordering on unusable at worst) with delicate sides, and where you can tell that the prior user has worked a third of the length off of them. They will have wooden handles and be fairly light.

I'm am a huge fan of the old chisels that have some manner of "buck brothers cast steel" on them. They feel soft on the stones (they sharpen easier than anything else I've ever used, and take a super keen edge) but hold up pretty well in use.

LN's bench chisels will probably be less tippy than newer stanley style chisels (which are ground thinner), and their balance will be better than you expect, but they are pretty hefty chisels for dovetail work.

The koyamaichi dovetail chisels at LV are also very nice, but they also not cheap. They are light, but the peaks are a bit hard on your fingers if you like to grip them down on the blade as a lot of people do with butt chisels. They have such crisp edges that they are, I guess, hard on fingers in general, but they are really lovely-working and plain-looking japanese chisels. They are intended only for light work, though, and wouldn't have the versatility that an LN chisel would. They are also unfriendly to anyone who doesn't want to sharpen their chisels entirely freehand.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 04-16-2012 at 2:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have some Stanley 60 chisels in my collection. The only real issue I have is they are short. The metallurgy from the 60's & 70's in my opinion is excellent. They sharpen well and hold their edge.
    You can find them on the great auction site.

If you are looking for a new set of short chisels, specifically for dovetail work, then I'd look into Czeck edge dovetail chisels. I personally have no experience with them but have handled them a little at a LN hand tool event. They really felt nice in the hand with a great balance for chopping out dovetail waste. But like i said before, I have no experience with how the steel holds up in use or any other charactoristic. But I have heard decent things about them.

http://czeckedge.com/store/index.php...index&cPath=16

I have used Japanese chisels for many years but I do have a couple of Lie Nielsen bench chisels and they have excellent balance. They don't seem too high or uwieldy to me and they are machined nicely with plenty of clearence for dovetailing. My guess is you would be more than happy with them. You could easily resell them if it turns out they're not to your liking. Lots of people swear by them.

I have both sets from LN and the newer Stanley SW and don't find them tippy at all. I've actually rehandled the Stanley SW to add about 1" to their overall length. I find the added length makes it easier for me to position them plumb.

Tools for working wood carries the Ashley Iles American pattern chisels, which are sorta a large butt chisel. I have an old set of these that I bought used. I don't like them for much other than dovetails and hinge mortises, but they are quite nice for those tasks. TFWW also sells the round back dovetail chisels, which I haven't used but since they are also made by Ashley Iles I assume they are nice.

With budget a concern, I like the Mk2 Beveled Edge Bench Chisels by Ashley Iles.

Thin sides for dovetails and light weight with tanged wooden handles.

Steel is O1 hardened to Rc 61 for great edge holding.

Tools for Working Wood and The Best Things have them in stock.

Regards,
    FK

As stated already, I 2nd the idea of looking for a set of old American chisels. In most cases, the steel quality is very, very good, and if you stay away from the collector brands, like Witherby, Stanley, etc.. you can acquire them cheaply. I've got a set of NOS Greenlee butt chisels that are probably exactly what you'd love. The steel is high quality, they hold an edge very well, and cost me $30 for 5 chisels. I had a full set of LN chisels, and sold them when I acquired another full set of used Greenlee beveled edge bench chisels (10) for under $100.

I had to spend some time flattening them all, and grinding new bevels, as they weren't owned by anyone who knew how to properly treat a quality chisel, but once that was done, they are every bit as good as the LN chisels, for 1/4 the price.

Jeff

I have a set of Blue Marples and a set of Wood River chisel my daughter sent for Xmas 2 years ago. I was trying to use Wood River chisels this weekend and was having a heck of time holding on to them. Of course this was my first real try @ dove tails or precision use of a wood chisel. I was grabbing it with a death grip either all the way up on top or all the way @ the bottom. I figured out the problem was my grip, no more tipping, but I still have the whole focus problem @ arms length that why I was thinking slightly shorter handles might help. Ah new glasses are the answer!

I do like the alternative suggestions. I'll start looking fora few bargains along those lines.

I too like butt chisels for working dovetails because I've found that I hold the chisel down on the blade and I have more control with a shorter chisel. You can do what Lonnie Bird recommends, buy your chisels and cut the ends off, or buy an old beater and cut it down and give it a try. If you're feeling spendy you might want to buy a single Blue Spruce butt chisel in the size that you use most, e.g., 1/2 in. and try it for a bit before you decide.

http://www.bluesprucetoolworks.com/c...&category=BUTT

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    I'm looking to invest in a decent set of chisels. I looked @ the LN sockets but the length of 9" is a bit tipsy or least it is in a different brand. I can work a metal working chisel with ease but the extra length in a wood chisel is tough. Any suggestions? The reason I'm looking is for removing waste in dove tails.
    I really prefer short chisels when dovetailing.. I have a set of the previously mentioned Ashley Iles American butt chisels that average about 7 inch-ish. I really like the control I can get with the short chisels and the steel is pretty good.. I modified the profile on the chisel so the cross section of the chisel is more triangular by grinding the edges so they are sharp, as delivered the cross section on the chisel was a little too chunky for me.. The Czech Edge dovetail chisels are a similar length as the AI American Butt chisels so they may be a good choice for you also...
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 04-17-2012 at 12:42 PM.

I bought the set of butt chisels from Woodcraft (WoodRiver brand) and I've been satisfied with them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    I have a set of Blue Marples and a set of Wood River chisel my daughter sent for Xmas 2 years ago. I was trying to use Wood River chisels this weekend and was having a heck of time holding on to them. Of course this was my first real try @ dove tails or precision use of a wood chisel. I was grabbing it with a death grip either all the way up on top or all the way @ the bottom. I figured out the problem was my grip, no more tipping, but I still have the whole focus problem @ arms length that why I was thinking slightly shorter handles might help. Ah new glasses are the answer!

I do like the alternative suggestions. I'll start looking fora few bargains along those lines.
    There are no chisels, new or vintage, that will work perfectly without any skill behind them. You acquire skill from repeatably doing the same or similar task. Your Woodriver chisels are probably just fine. I wouldn't replace them untill you can judge them objectively.

For what it's worth, I have the LN and I don't find them tippy at all.