Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Distressing

I like the look of milk paint followed by a coat of boiled linseed oil or light oil/varnish.

'glaze' can be anything you like. It's just glorified 'crud' sandwiched in between two layers of finish. I've used thickened oil stain, commercially sold water-based glaze, and oil-based pore-filler, and oil based artist paints. They all work the same. As long as you know your compatibilities or use a thin, spray coat of lacquer or shellac in between, there's little more one needs to know to get the basic effect.

FWIW, I like the box. Finishing well takes time and effort. A multi-layer process like this impresses me the same way sophisticated joinery impresses me even on a piece that may not be to my style.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-11-2014 at 3:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Looks like someone's been referring to peter follansbee tutorials!
    Exactly, these patterns are straight from his DVD.

Thanks for the tips Prashun! I know I need them for my painting endeavours. Painting never has been my passion, but I think I'm starting to like it.

Milk based paint is a 19th. C. innovation. They used all oil earlier. At least so says Mack Headley,Master Cabinet Maker in the Anthony Hay Shop in Wmsbg.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post

So I decided to paint it with milk paint. First I tried a kind of salmon color. But it looks like I have to study a bit on my color mixing technique:

I think I recognize that color:
    kees box.jpg

Nice pink isn't ugly isn't it?

Milkpaint is much older. But oil paint was develloped in the late middle ages and used a lot after that. They also used a glue size. Pigment in glue which made a not very abrassion resistant paint.

In the 70ths milkpaint was reintroduced because of the hippy ideals of a clean earth, but also it is a nice reproduction of a worn finish on an antique piece.