I saw a painted hanging cupboard at an antique store Wednesday It was from the early 19th century. The paint was old and discolored, but there were no places where it was worn through and I don't recall any chipped places even. If someone had reproduced this they likely would have felt the need to remove paint completely at the high wear locations. There was also a very nice 18th century Windsor chair which was not worn through on every edge the way most reproductions are.

Here is a cabinet for which I wonder if fake wear has been added. It really is over 200 years old., but the wear pattern seems just too predictable, too much like a furniture doctor would make it. The dents all seem to have paint at the bottom, like they all occurred before the wear took place. Also note the vertical line on the bottom rail, like where a belt sander stopped. I can't remember all that I noted when I saw it in person. This cabinet could have been stripped in 1965 and repainted in 1995. Or it could be the the original paint and somebody thought it would look more fashionable with more wear.
painted corner cpbd.jpg