Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh, the heartbreak

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Oh, wow...that's GREAT!

I would still sue somebody, though. You know...for all of your emotional trauma...

In fact, I have felt so badly for you through this whole thing that I might sue somebody.
    Yeah, I'm going to need years of therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Happy ending!!!
    When I talked to the local post office yesterday, I told them "if the carrier finds a chisel in his bag…"
    Well, I guess that happened, because this afternoon a chisel mysteriously appeared in my mailbox, with no explanation. Crazy! But a big relief. Thanks everybody!
    Now we expect to hear how it works! IME, beating plane mortises out with a japanese chisel is pretty unsatisfying until you find the angle where they won't chip at all, but once you get that, they are worth the price of admission. I could've cut all three of the mortises in the beech planes without resharpening (with the bench chisel I used), but my first few attempts with an imai chisel weren't too great because I may have expected too much out of it.

Now you're ahead of me. I'm still waiting for my folding marking knife!

Very glad you got your chisel back Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I ordered a folding marking knife once from fujibato and it disappeared, despite being registered, after it got over here. I guess someone at the post office decided they wanted it for themselves, because it made it to New York and was scanned in here and then disappeared.
    In the recent past (last 4-5 years), some local post office personnel acknowledged openly that they had a problem with theft. I learned this when I got a tour of my local post office and noticed that there was an mezanine above the sorting area that had oddly colored windows in several oddly shaped nooks. When I asked, the person giving the tour told me the nooks were observation points done in such a way that folks on the sorting floor couldnt tell when they were being observed. She said they served a couple purposes, but were really put in to help curb theft. I was shocked, frankly. So I asked a few clarifying questions and got the same answer. I dont think she was pulling my leg.

Just for the record - every post office employee Ive ever known personally has been a pretty good guy/gal. I dont mean to offend - Im just relaying an experience that still seems odd to me.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-26-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Steve, great news! Persistence paid off. I imagine the mail carrier was happy too.

It is a miracle you got the chisel!! The Post Office is never responsible for losing anything,it seems. Between my co-worker,Jon,and myself,one year they lost 5 letters. I have had letters come back missing postage,and could see where the stamp had been torn off. One time,I finished my car payments and went to get the title. I had missed a payment(which was LOST by the USPS),and had to pay the payment plus a fine. No answer from the post office when I complained to them.