Thread: Wood Sources

Wood Sources

I have a couple of requests for wood sources:

1st - I am in need to find someone who sells acacia. We installed some natural acacia flooring, but need some rough lumber for a starter stair tread and some trim. I think this wood is also known as Black Bcacia, Australian Koa (?), and maybe Black Locust. If anyone knows where I can buy some of this, I would appreciate it.

2nd - This one is directed to my fellow Dallas/Fort Worth woodworkers. Where do you guys buy your wood? I'm not wanting to bash any sources by name, but my traditional source of lumber has been frustrating me lately. Most notably, their walnut is typically of poorer quality, and yet they label it as 'premium' and charge premium prices. Not to mention they usually don't have enough usable inventory to buy for a project. I use walnut quite a bit and have resorted to shipping in lumber for my last few projects from out of state. I would much rather support local businesses if there are any that I'm unaware of.
    Clark Harbaugh

It is my understanding that walnut has become a real problem. Apparently China is eating it by the ton for flooring of late and it has really created some issues throughout the food chain. I think suppliers are charging more money and simply taking what they can get for quality of material. That said, they should be at least informing customers in general terms what is going on so the customer can make an informed decision. At least for the time being you might really have a hard time finding really premium walnut and then if you do find it, you will likely pay even more for it than for the stuff your supplier is calling premium.

Apparently the Chinese are just pouring through the stuff at this time.

I don't have much time to write now but if you want to give me a call I can give you some suppliers names. Quality walnut is a problem
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

In the past I have got all my Walnut from Barney's Hardwood. 500 E Lancaster Ave,Fort Worth.
    Other woods like Purple Heart, Ash, Cherry I go to Brazos Forest Products, 2760 N. Great Southwest Pkwy, Grand Prairie, TX.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Clark Harbaugh